Broody hen and mites have treated with permethrin but still they linger

Patchworkjo

Songster
May 3, 2020
Hello. I am looking for some help here. I have a broody on day 12 and mites.

I have treated the nest box and roost (she is in the maternity wing), and her twice and they are still they are there. We used permethrin. I am worried that it won’t take many mites to kill/harm a chick if we are successful with the hatch?

Shall I get a plastic tote and cut a section out and transfer her and the eggs at night into it. It can go under the nest box and in the enclosed run so will have roof and shelter at the sides too? This way I can blitz the nest box and roost ready for when they are up for the ramp. Other option is a cat carrier under the nest box but food and water for chicks won’t fit in that.

We have seen mice in the run but no rats. However our neighbour has seen rats under their bird feeders and we live near a river so they can’t be far away. Run is surrounded by concrete slabs but the mice still managed to dig in.

What do you think is our best bet?

Thanks

Unfortunately mites are very annoying to get rid of!
When you treated with permethrin (spray?) Did you also take out all the bedding and replace with fresh bedding? You have sprayed your broody hen also?
You can treat your hen with Ivermectin dose on the back of her neck too.
Wherever is the safest place for your hen and her eggs is the best option, so if your maternity ward is secure then keep her there - but if it needs mite treatment then move her if possible while you do a full cleanout and spray then spray her before placing her back in. You could also dust her fresh bedding with poultry mite permethrin dust for double the mite destroying power and protection.
Permethrin should give up to 6 weeks protection before you need to spray again.
Others on byc are sure to chime in with more helpful advice for you!
Goodluck with the hatch! :jumpy

I bit the bullet and moved them VERY carefully same orientation and carried the eggs in that position too. No external pips which was a surprise after all her commotion yesterday. Hen was not happy (understatement) and was more interested in the other hens outside at first. Sidney, the cockerel was being very vocal. After I showed her the eggs she sat on them and is still there. Everything crossed I haven’t buggered it up. There were mites in the nest but not too many (100 at a guesstimate). Better than yesterday pre spray.

At least 2 from the 4
324D1DBD-A05B-45E2-9D00-6C2921E4ED9D.jpeg

HELP. It’s day 19 and she has been very active but it has been hot and mites have appeared again in their droves. I have protected her and the eggs and sprayed permethrin again. Twice. And I have squashed any I saw moving. I can’t see movement now. Should I move the hen and eggs (possibly pipped) to a new broody wing we have put in place tonight, or should I wait to see if we have a hatch and then move them all. I don’t want to disorientate hatching chicks, or stress the hen. But I also don’t want any that hatch to be eaten by mites. HELP.

My dilemma is do I move her and the eggs now or wait to see if they hatch? I have no idea what is up with the 4 eggs under. Candles on day 18 and one looked close to hatch, two a few days off and the other smaller with veins. At day 13 they all looked the same!
I risked a move at about the same timeframe. I didnt want to risk the chicks getting feasted on by mites. Did end up having to block my broody in the new nest overnight but it did work.

My dilemma is do I move her and the eggs now or wait to see if they hatch? I have no idea what is up with the 4 eggs under. Candles on day 18 and one looked close to hatch, two a few days off and the other smaller with veins. At day 13 they all looked the same!

Back
Top Bottom