Broody Hen and new chicks

Grophens

Chirping
May 5, 2021
I have a broody hen and her eggs will probably hatch in ~1 week. She is currently in the main part of the coop where all the hens roost and lay eggs. The coop is off the ground and all water and food is outside the coop. After hatching, Should I move her and the chicks to a place where the other hens can't get at the new chicks?
Or, will she protect them adequately? Should I put a small waterer and food in the coop after eggs hatch?

Given enough space, I generally like to let the hen raise chicks within the flock to avoid problems with integration. Problem with a raised coop is that chicks have problems learning how to get back in the coop. A widened ramp with a decreased angle can help them adjust. Space is a big factor in deciding whether or not to leave the hen and chicks in the flock.

The coop is off the ground
I agree with Sourland. Raised coops with ramps can be a problem. What often happens for the first few days is that the hen goes to the top of the ramp and calls her babies. They crowd right under her and can't jump up and never think to go to the end of the ramp and walk up. You need to be there when it is bedtime to help them if they need it. With ramps they often do for a few days.

After hatching, Should I move her and the chicks to a place where the other hens can't get at the new chicks? Or, will she protect them adequately?
With mine, this is not even on my radar. But some people do have issues. I think it is because mine have plenty of room as much as anything. So the question is how much room do you have?

Should I put a small waterer and food in the coop after eggs hatch?
I put food and water on the coop floor where the chicks can get to them after the hen brings them off of the nest.

How big is your coop? How much room they have is important in a lot of things. I like my hens to raise the chicks with the flock but the broody hen needs enough room to work in the coop and in the run. With an elevated coop and a tight set-up a separate shelter for the hen and chicks may be good, at least for a few days or a week

Back
Top Bottom