Broody hen and no eggs!

Outbackchick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 20, 2011
Hi.. My sons friends decided to collect or eggs today without asking.. Little did they know our hen had been sitting on them for a few weeks and we were waiting on them to hatch!! They had left them on our bench and when I came home they proudly told me they had " collected the eggs"" I realized, to my horror that they had collected the ones she's was sitting on as I'd already collected the eggs today! GRRR!!
barnie.gif
... Now my question is that now the poor thing has had her eggs taken is there anything I should do?? Will she stay brooding and lay more or loose interest now her eggs are gone?

Oh and I candles them hoping for signs of life but could see no movement and eggs were cold
hit.gif

How long were they out from under her? I've heard of hens being off the nest for 8 hours and still hatching babies. I'd probably stick them back under her and hope for the best.

I had a simular situation where a young broody got off her eggs and then got back in the wrong nest for the day till I got home and all the eggs were cold. I did the same thing candled and so no movement but put her back on them anyway to try. 4 of them are running around the grow out pen with mom right now so don't give up their tougher than you think. At least you eggs were in side so they didn't get as cold as mine did. it's stilll worth a try.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom