Broody hen at the same time I’m introducing pullets

Magpiesfancy

Hatching
May 15, 2021
I have 3 new chicks 6/7 weeks that I grew indoors and now introducing them in a separate run along side the big run to my 6 older hens. At the same time one of my hens went broody and sits in a nesting box inside the coop. She is determined. I decided not to break her out of it because in a couple of weeks I will have 4 more chicks coming and will try to give her those chicks to raise. I have no rooster so she is sitting on wood eggs. My question is do I move the broody into a dog crate in the run or coop to brood? Or instead leave the broody where she is and use the dog cage as a coop at night in the run for the 3 pullets I have now? I have a large coop and run and a smaller run which I bring the little pullets in during the day so everyone can see each other. I’m hoping after a couple of weeks I can put the pullets in with the hens but I’m not sure if that’s enough time. But by then I’ll have the new babies I hope to GIVE to my broody. If it doesn’t work those babies will go inside the house.

Being as she is setting on wooden eggs - I would leave her right where she is. Moving them can break them. Or, they just go back to where they think is the best nest. I myself use a dog crate for the pullets without a broody hen to sleep in in the coop. After a week, I don't lock them in either, and quickly they will go back there on their own.

I think your timing is about perfect, because your current pullets should be "in" the flock, by the time the new chicks get here. The broody will take them, and all will be well. I have done this several time, and there is nothing more fun than a broody hen and chicks. If you want help there, ask me, I have had good luck.

Mrs. K

Being as she is setting on wooden eggs - I would leave her right where she is. Moving them can break them. Or, they just go back to where they think is the best nest. I myself use a dog crate for the pullets without a broody hen to sleep in in the coop. After a week, I don't lock them in either, and quickly they will go back there on their own.

I think your timing is about perfect, because your current pullets should be "in" the flock, by the time the new chicks get here. The broody will take them, and all will be well. I have done this several time, and there is nothing more fun than a broody hen and chicks. If you want help there, ask me, I have had good luck.

Mrs. K

Mrs. K,
Thank you so much for your reply. You’re encouragement is greatly appreciated. I just needed to hear from someone who has done this. Thank you !

Back
Top Bottom