broody hen ate her own chick!

jprinc44

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
south-central Va.
I had a broody partridge rock hen who ate her own chick after it hatched on Saturday. The chick had dried and was doing quite well, was getting ready to move Momma and chick into the house and went to check on them, only to find the chick in the laying box minus it's head. I was so upset, I picked up the dead chick and the one egg she was still setting on and threw them both away, tears running down my face. No more broody hens for me! Done with that. Has anyone ever heard of a hen doing that after all that time spent setting on the egg? I have had a few hens to hatch their chicks, but never had anything like that happen.

My OEGH killed 5 of the 6 babies she had been sitting on. Only reason she didn't kill the last 1 was because I took the last egg and put it in the bator. Not sure why some do this, sorry you went through it. I was also very upset!

I have heard of this, however, I heard it usually when the chick is still wet and the mother confused it with a predator or sees it as a threat. I am so sorry to hear and wondering why this happened after the chick was dried off. I have heard many times some are just NOT good mothers. She should never be allowed to set again although, I know you already know this.
hugs.gif
I feel so bad for you. It must have been a shock. I am going to watch my mother hen extra careful after reading this. She just hatched out two this morning and I have been a little cautious about this sort of thing. So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
hit.gif

I am so sorry...I am new to raising chickens. But over the years we have had everything from Gerbils to New Mommy dogs kills their new babies. Its heartbreaking and nothing makes you feel better but a little time ::big hug::

We had rabbits that would kill the babies that were defective. Maybe there was something wrong with it, you know, animals have senses that we dont, and she knew it was going to die. Sorry for the trauma and loss, thats not a fun way to get into the broody business!

I wonder if she detected something wrong with the chick? I don't know if it's true, but I feel like I've read someplace that if they do detect a health issue, they'll dispatch it. I'm very sorry....
hugs.gif

thanks for letting me vent, I was just so upset. I have had 2 other hens this year who have both raised their chicks for a month or more, and been such good Mommas, now this! I was really looking forward to this, because both eggs were Americauna eggs. I was hoping to add to my green-egg layers. Just no meant to be, I suppose. Janet

Back
Top Bottom