Broody hen banished from Flock

Toetwo

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2012
Hi,
I have a four year old hen who tends to go broody. This summer we had four broody hens. Broke three but let Toey have her way. Seven babies successfully raised. Usually the mother hen introduces the flock to her babies and over time all is well and we have one flock. From the start, this time the other hens were beasts to Toey. Eventually she was let back in but still they are cruel. Everyone is now molting and Toey is a featherless tiny harassed hen and tonight she didn’t even bother to go into the coop and is back to hiding in the nursery. Side note. We just redid the roost situation this weekend. I thought it would be an equalizer. Apparently not. I am worried about her and not sure what to do. Suggestions?

I am worried about her and not sure what to do. Suggestions?
Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements to help determine if something can be done nutritionally to support her through this challenging time. Despite being only 2% digestible protein in their raw form, feathers are made 90% from protein and it's amino acids.

Do you know what breed she is? Is she still actively eating and drinking?

Also what part of the world are you in? Consider adding your location to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance regarding which resources may or may not be available to you.

You might try posting pics of your coop/run/ new roost set up.. so we can make suggestions for any possible improvement.. include the size of each space and how many birds total are being housed inside.

Also, consider breaking her instead if she goes broody next season.. in order to help her maintain her place a little better.

A quick, easy, immune system boost that has far reaching implications and cannot be overdosed would be the addition of a human grade B complex, if you happen to have it already on hand. I will wait for your reply to make other suggestions.

Hope Toey perks up and recovers quickly and also that you get more valuable feedback! :fl

I feel like @azygous might have some molting and flock dynamics experience to offer if she's around and has the time. TIA

The little mama has been away from the flock long enough to qualify her as an outsider now that she wishes to rejoin them. Most broodies have an abundance of snarly, take-no-prisoners hormones that help them stand up to the flock when they pull their snitty stuff. But it sounds like this little gal's confidence is worn down and needs a "spa" treatment. My article will explain it. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-a-single-hen-to-an-existing-flock.71997/

Please describe feed routine including treats and supplements to help determine if something can be done nutritionally to support her through this challenging time. Despite being only 2% digestible protein in their raw form, feathers are made 90% from protein and it's amino acids.

Also what part of the world are you in? Consider adding your location to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestions possible at a glance regarding which resources may or may not be available to you.

You might try posting pics of your coop/run/ new roost set up.. so we can make suggestions for any possible improvement.. include the size of each space and how many birds total are being housed inside.

Also, consider breaking her instead if she goes broody next season.. in order to help her maintain her place a little better.

A quick, easy, immune system boost that has far reaching implications and cannot be overdosed would be the addition of a human grade B complex, if you happen to have it already on hand. I will wait for your reply to make other suggestions.

Hope Toey perks up and recovers quickly and also that you get more valuable feedback! :fl

I feel like @azygous might have some molting and flock dynamics experience to offer if she's around and has the time. TIA
Thank you!! Will get photos up and answer your questions ASAP.

Hi,

Hi,
She is an Icelandic mutt. She is eating and drinking--I put her in the quonset hut for a reprieve with lots of pellet food, organic scratch and mealy worms, and water. I am in theMonadnock region of NH. It's getting chilly and all the hens are dropping their feathers in their annual molt. I'm trying to figure out how to shrink my photos so I don't overload the system.

They all have the hanging food and water available at all times. And LOTS of space to scurry about both in and out of the coop and Bus Stop Run.

Agree-won't let her go broody again though she is a wonderful mother!

I'd upload some photos but don't seem to have the tech knowledge on how to resize them. I've done it before so will fiddle around.

You say they have food and water available all the time, but don’t say if it isn’t single dispenser of each or if you have multiple feeders and waterers. It is recommended to have more than one, out of line of sight of each other if possible.

You say they have food and water available all the time, but don’t say if it isn’t single dispenser of each or if you have multiple feeders and waterers. It is recommended to have more than one, out of line of sight of each other if possible.
Thank you!
Odd how the most obvious things can just lurk outside of one's view. That makes so much sense. I have been putting food in the quonset hut--aka two choices--but with 19 hens that seems not enough. They are free range but between the molting and weather, that is unlikely to account for much. She is looking better. About to go out and create more eating stations!
THANK YOU!!

Back
Top Bottom