Broody hen doesn't make a "broody noise" - normal?

I Have a broody hen that doesn't make the cluck-cluck ticking noise when she goes to her daily break. Is it normal? It's day 3 of incubation if that matters....
Does she puff up her feathers? Does she make other noises? Does she otherwise act broody?

I'd just give her some time. Eventually she may figure it out.

I had one that never made the cluck-cluck noise at me, but she did it at the other chickens. I could reach under her and handle the eggs, and put chicks under her and everything, and nary a peep out of her. I regularly collect eggs out from under her while on the nest box. I am an annoyance, but not a threat. The other chickens, now - she would growl at them and peck them, and once the chicks were hatched and I opened up the broody area to the main flock, she went after everyone. She was originally middle of the pecking order, but she moved up because she beat everyone up over those chicks.

And then, I have other chickens that growl at me when I reach under them for their daily egg. Heaven help me if they go broody. Just individual variation I think.

Worst broody I ever had was I tiny bantam silkie, weighed maybe a pound and a half. She'd fight chickens out of the nest boxes so she could set on a single freshly laid egg. I swear she'd try to set on your head if you thought about eggs. She was unbelievably violent when broody, too. She's the only hen that's drawn blood on me, and I have hands that are mostly scars and callouses. Vicious.

She never clucked or growled, either. She shrieked.

Back
Top Bottom