Broody hen/eggs under & all around, too...

spencereb

In the Brooder
12 Years
Feb 17, 2007
Tennessee
So, I have eight hens & one rooster with two nest boxes. All spring they have used both boxes, 7-8 eggs daily, like clockwork. I decided to stop gathering, to see if we could induce a broody and sure enough, one hen started sitting today.

But, her nest is a foot or 18 inches away from one of the nests they have been using all along. I could see that she definately has a crowd of eggs under her, but there were also still several eggs left off to the side in the old nest cradle. So, I tried to push some of them under her, but no room! I went ahead and just harvested those extra eggs. She did not protest my efforts much at all, just a little growl, so I don't think that I "upset her apple cart" too much.

My problem/questions...did she just pick certain ones to sit on? How much moving her could I do? Will the other hens continue to lay? and if so, will broody continue to try to take them in under her? Do I need to isolate her from the rest of the flock? And what happens when her chicks appear on the scene in three weeks? Help! What do I do now?

Any information is appreciated...thanks,
-Spence

Congrats on your broody hen!

I would say, let her sit on the eggs she is on [don't add more if she isn't able to cover them]. Try moving the nest for the OTHER hens to not disturb the broody one. For my broody, i isolated her one day before she actually sat. When the chicks do hatch, move her and the chicks to a secure area for at least the first two days. Do this at night or very early in the morning but make sure the chicks that are going to hatch have hatched. After the chicks can walk around then try to see how the other chickens react to the chicks.

My bantam hatched out six and the four standards including the rooster left her alone.

Good luck.

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

This
is a great broody article. It's long, but very informative. Enjoy!
big_smile.png

airmom1c05,

Now that was a great article! Thanks for showing us the link. A little long, but absolutely informative the whole way...

Thanks again,
-Spence

if theres eggs all out in the open where she is sitting.id say she cant sitt on all the eggs.an the ones shes not on will be bad eggs.but thats just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom