Broody hen gets to be a 1st time mama!

urbangardengirl

Songster
Feb 15, 2021
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have 4 hens, all about two years old; two Buff Orpingtons and two Blacked-Barred Rocks. They are all quite sweet and get along great. One of my Orpingtons goes broody very easily and will not be deterred. Last year was my first year experiencing this and with a lot of constant interaction with her, was able to break it. I don't have it in me this year, and wanted to add a few more to my little flock, so I ordered fertilized eggs from a farm in South Carolina and expect them to arrive on Monday.

I have 2 days (Sunday I will be at church most of the day, leaving not much time to build) to get a brooding coop built and my mama-to-be moved. After much reading and many video viewings, I have decided to move her to her own space, close to and within eyeshot of, the main coop and run. My plan is to get the build done by end of day on Saturday, and move her in Saturday night under the cover of darkness with the unfertilized eggs I am letting her sit on now. This should give her a couple days to settle into her new temporary home. Once I get the fertilized eggs (USPS tracking says before 9pm Monday night) I can make the switch. Will most likely lift her off the nest Tuesday morning and put her by her food and water, then swap out the eggs for her to lay on herself when she goes back to her nest. This should prevent breakage.

I have never done this before, nor has she.... so it is exciting. Not quite sure how it will all play out, but looking forward to the process!

Attachments

• Broody Judy.jpg
    Broody Judy.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 7
I have 4 hens, all about two years old; two Buff Orpingtons and two Blacked-Barred Rocks. They are all quite sweet and get along great. One of my Orpingtons goes broody very easily and will not be deterred. Last year was my first year experiencing this and with a lot of constant interaction with her, was able to break it. I don't have it in me this year, and wanted to add a few more to my little flock, so I ordered fertilized eggs from a farm in South Carolina and expect them to arrive on Monday.

I have 2 days (Sunday I will be at church most of the day, leaving not much time to build) to get a brooding coop built and my mama-to-be moved. After much reading and many video viewings, I have decided to move her to her own space, close to and within eyeshot of, the main coop and run. My plan is to get the build done by end of day on Saturday, and move her in Saturday night under the cover of darkness with the unfertilized eggs I am letting her sit on now. This should give her a couple days to settle into her new temporary home. Once I get the fertilized eggs (USPS tracking says before 9pm Monday night) I can make the switch. Will most likely lift her off the nest Tuesday morning and put her by her food and water, then swap out the eggs for her to lay on herself when she goes back to her nest. This should prevent breakage.

I have never done this before, nor has she.... so it is exciting. Not quite sure how it will all play out, but looking forward to the process!
good luck!

Let us know how it goes! I’m trying to do something similar

Back
Top Bottom