Broody hen has gotten VERY defensive, whuzzit mean??

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
we have our first broody, whos eggs are due tomorrow, I've candled them a few times, and from what I can tell the eggs are the real deal, aircell taking up half the egg, dark mass on the other side, I've heard no peeping, and so far no chicks, but she has gotten VERY defensive of her nest, she used to be ok about only growling and clucking if you went in for a look, but now every time you look at her, she looks like she wants to kill you!

does it mean that she knows something we dont??

I want little peeps!

Sounds to me like she's getting in mother hen (protection) mode. Just in time for the chickies.
smile.png

well, hopefully she'll do her thing tonight
lau.gif
, and I'll go out to atleast one chickie to poke and prod and make go insane
smile.png

though it has been abit chilly here the past few days, so thats a worry, though she hasn't LEFT the nest since yesterday, so all the eggs are nice and toasty
big_smile.png

I THINK, I'm not sure, but I THINK, one or more chicks may be hatching, I hear NO peeping, BUT when I get real close and listen, I hear what sounds like tiny cracking
ep.gif

is it normal for chicks to NOT peep while hatching??

Quote:
The hen will cluck at them, especially if someone or something is around, and they will hush up. If you have eggs hatching in the incubator that are cheeping and you cluck at them, alot of times they will quiet down also.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom