Broody hen hatching eggs

tvandchicks

In the Brooder
Aug 18, 2022
Yuma az I
So my Broody hen hatched three eggs out of 10 six days ago I have tried candling the eggs but they are brown eggs and very difficult to see through this morning three more eggs, hatched, and I can hear a baby chick chirping inside of one more. One of the babies died after it hatched within a half an hour😞 I don’t know if she did it by stepping on it or that if she was pecking at the eggs, she keeps getting off the nest to tend to the older babies,so I have removed the older chicks and put them back in the chicken coop Broody pen but she seems so stressed out because she can hear them so I put the Broody heater on the new chicks and let her back into the chicken coop with the older babies . Now should I just put the new babies back in with her this evening then what do I do with the unborn chicks since I don’t have a incubator? I feel so bad for her. It’s hard enough dealing with one batch of babies, but now she’s having to deal with two ! I know I’m overwhelmed so I can only imagine how she is feeling and yes, this is the first time her and I have ever had hatchlings. She is a little over a year and the only reason we got the eggs mixed up is because one of my other hens got into the nesting box and I know we should have mark them, but we didn’t. We won’t do that again it’s been a stressful week 😳

IF she's ok with the first 3 hatch and accepting the 3 the recently hatched, lucky you. But as long as she has those eggs, she'll continue to leave the nest to tend to those that hatched. You can just let it go, leave her alone OR ...

You can attempt a "rescue" of those eggs = Get a 60watt incandescent light bulb & put those eggs in an box with the light over it ... See what happens ... IF they hatch she probably won't accept them so you'd have to raise them & introduce to the flock when they are older (See but no touch)

Back
Top Bottom