Broody Hen - I don't wanna move

AC2020

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
I have a broody hen - today's day 3 of sitting. I don't want to move her but I'm concerned about the location of the nesting box. It's about 12" from the ground. Can I move hen and peeps once they're born?

Is it cold, too far away, etc.?
The nesting box is about a foot off the ground, afraid when the peeps hatch, they'll fall. Also, I've read conflicting info that the broody hen should be secluded from the other hens but still be in the same coop? Thanks for your reply.

Put a board across the bottom of the nest if it’s open, so the first to hatch are less likely to fall out (remember to leave enough room for mama to get in and out). If you leave her where she is, mark the eggs she’s on so you can daily remove any eggs that may be added by other hens. You can take mama and chicks out of the nest after they’re done hatching.

Put a board across the bottom of the nest if it’s open, so the first to hatch are less likely to fall out (remember to leave enough room for mama to get in and out). If you leave her where she is, mark the eggs she’s on so you can daily remove any eggs that may be added by other hens. You can take mama and chicks out of the nest after they’re done hatching.
Thank you. This is a whole new learning curve!

If you want babies, let her sit, mark the eggs she is on so you can remove the new ones. If you dont want babies then grab the eggs and push her out of the nesting area, sooner or later she'll get the hint.

There is nothing to be afraid of if you do not want 'the broodies' and all that comes with it.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom