Broody Hen In Dirt

Beachy_Hen

In the Brooder
May 11, 2019
Central Florida
Should I move a broody hen and the eggs if they’re on the coop floor which is dirt? Despite having lovely nesting boxes, many of my girls prefer laying on the dirt. I missed gathering eggs for a few days and a hen who has never been broody is now sitting on a clutch. I was thinking of filling a shallow crate with shavings, putting the eggs and hen in it in the same spot. Good or bad idea? Thanks!

Hens lay wherever they have a notion to when you allow it. If you see a hen laying an egg in the dirt, there's no reason not to pick her up, carefully in case the egg is about to fall out of her butt, and take her to a nest box and place her in it.

This is what I sometimes need to do with new layers just getting the hang of it. They will get as far as the nest boxes, and lay the egg right below them on the floor. A couple times of intercepting them before the egg comes out generally gets them on the right track.

As for fixing up a nest in a crate on the floor in place of the hole in the dirt it's worth a try, but broodies can be very stubborn. It may take a few tries to convince her to upgrade.

Hens lay wherever they have a notion to when you allow it. If you see a hen laying an egg in the dirt, there's no reason not to pick her up, carefully in case the egg is about to fall out of her butt, and take her to a nest box and place her in it.

This is what I sometimes need to do with new layers just getting the hang of it. They will get as far as the nest boxes, and lay the egg right below them on the floor. A couple times of intercepting them before the egg comes out generally gets them on the right track.

As for fixing up a nest in a crate on the floor in place of the hole in the dirt it's worth a try, but broodies can be very stubborn. It may take a few tries to convince her to upgrade.

I never even thought to move one who is actively laying. Thank you for that.

Back
Top Bottom