Broody hen in the summer

Holiwwod

Songster
May 30, 2021
My hen has gone broody and she seems so hot. She’s a buff and this is the first time I’ve seen her go broody. Her mouth is open which I’ve seen all my hens like this in the nest box. I’m assuming it’s because it’s summer and almost 100*. She sounds like she gargling as she’s breathing. I don’t know what to do I know it’s because she’s hot and in the wooden next box that’s in the wooden hen house. I tried to give her water but she only sipped it twice. How can I help her not to over heat?

The hen house is in the shade and it’s get to Walls that is a VancThe henhouse is in a shade in its got two walls that is wire.

Can you remove her from the coop and have her free range? That's what we've been doing with our broody hen. I set her out in our yard with food and a water bowl whenever we are at home. She complains but then eats and drinks and scratches around.

She is a free range hen. I picked her up and no eggs. Keeping her out to see if she goes back. If she does return I’ll have to slip some eggs under her tomorrow.

If she does return I’ll have to slip some eggs under her tomorrow.
You don't have to give her eggs.
I wouldn't let a hen hatch in those kind of temps.
Put her in a raised crate in the coolest place you can,
might even wet her belly in cool water before crating.

1656274184163.png

Not trying to hatch she keeps going back to the nest.
That's when you need to 'break' her broodiness.

My experience goes about like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest (or as soon as I know they are broody), I put her in a wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller wire(1x2) on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop or run with feed and water.

After 48 hours I let her out of crate very near roosting time(30-60 mins) if she goes to roost great, if she goes to nest put her back in crate for another 48 hours.

Tho not necessary a chunk of 2x4 for a 'roost' was added to crate floor, gives the feet a break from the wire floor and encourages roosting.

Pic of breaker crate in post #6 above.

Back
Top Bottom