Broody Hen Killed Chicks

MollyPollyO

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2020
I have a broody hen (first time) who incubated five eggs. We marked them and removed any other eggs she took that the other hens laid that she added to her pile.

She killed the first two chicks that hatched, so we took the other three and put them in the incubator. They are all doing well, but then hen is still sitting in the nest box without any eggs under her.

We took the chicks out to her to see her reaction. She was slightly interested, but not in a way that would make me trust her with them (as much as I would love for her to raise them).

Any thoughts on how to move forward with this girl?

Break her.
Set her up in an elevated wire dog crate with a piece of wood to perch on and food and water. Leave her in there for at least 3 days and nights. She might need longer to fully break.
Currently unoccupied broody breaker.
broody breaker.jpg

I have a broody hen (first time) who incubated five eggs. We marked them and removed any other eggs she took that the other hens laid that she added to her pile.

She killed the first two chicks that hatched, so we took the other three and put them in the incubator. They are all doing well, but then hen is still sitting in the nest box without any eggs under her.

We took the chicks out to her to see her reaction. She was slightly interested, but not in a way that would make me trust her with them (as much as I would love for her to raise them).

Don't let her sit and hatch again. Apart from this I would let her be.

Why would you think this? In all the times I've had chicks hatch here I have yet to see any aggression from other flock members towards the chicks.
Some hens are just bad mothers.
Ive never had a broody take the time to hatch to just kill them its always the others if they are with them.

Back
Top Bottom