Broody hen killing baby chicks

Interesting discussion. There are SO many variables with every hen and every hatch that I find it fascinating that so many opinions are so black and white. I honestly think that every situation has to be looked at individually and decisions are based on that very individual group of circumstances. In this case I would have done as the OP and tried to save any remaining hatching chicks. I can't imagine killing viable chicks, the point of hatching them was to have them, generally. I can imagine killing non viable chicks or seriously injured or deformed chicks. I probably wouldn't kill a hen that did this, but I wouldn't let her sit again either unless I was well prepared to intervene if necessary. If it happened a second time I would never let her hatch again. I also understand that philosophically people have different views on what is acceptable in keeping animals in general, so one more variable to every situation.
To @Aboddy2u , best of luck with the rest of them, I hope the majority survive and do well.
As you write there are a lot of variables. I've tried with parent less chicks in the past. It just hasn't worked. It's hard enough trying to keep chicks with good mothers alive if they've hatched away from their tribes and haven't been integrated yet.

I think some of this depends on the breed of the hen too...

I had a recent hatch that was staggered even though the eggs were set all the same day...

There were a few factors contributing to this but the nest box I provided was the biggest... in hindsight I don’t think she was able to cover the eggs well...which led to the chicks hatching days apart...

Although she didn’t kill the chicks, she did kick the first two out of the nest...

I ended up giving those two and several other chicks back to her a few days later after she hatched another chick... and I put the remaining eggs under a different broody...

She accepted all the chicks just fine and ended up being a fine mother .... but she’s a faverolles :rolleyes:

I suspect other breeds with stronger natural instincts would not have taken those chicks, and might have killed the first chicks rather than just kicking them out...

faverolles seem to lack a lot of chicken sense compared to others breeds I’ve kept in the past, but that lack of instinct tends to make them easy to work with in other ways...

Last edited:
As you write there are a lot of variables. I've tried with parent less chicks in the past. It just hasn't worked. It's hard enough trying to keep chicks with good mothers alive if they've hatched away from their tribes and haven't been integrated yet.
And I have raised innumerable brooder batches that have all done just fine. They do have to be integrated once old enough, a step that isn't necessary with a broody hen raised batch, so an extra step and time. I've had many batches of chicks, raised both ways, and both have worked fine for me. Every one of us probably has slightly different ways of accomplishing things, so again, all those variables.

Like Coach, I think there are many variables, and we each have to decide for ourselves. I also sorta understand Shad's position, but Shad, you are in Spain with a totally different setup than most of us "backyard" chicken keepers.

While I incubate eggs in "proper" position, broody hens don't follow this, and they still have excellent hatches, so I'd have to disagree with any so-called study on the subject, because I've witnessed it with my own eyes many, many, many times.

I have had 2 or 3 hens kill chicks, I always give them another shot, and they all became wonderful mothers. Whatever circumstances caused them to kill was beyond my guess, but they were not doomed for eternity by it.

Like Coach, I think there are many variables, and we each have to decide for ourselves. I also sorta understand Shad's position, but Shad, you are in Spain with a totally different setup than most of us "backyard" chicken keepers.

While I incubate eggs in "proper" position, broody hens don't follow this, and they still have excellent hatches, so I'd have to disagree with any so-called study on the subject, because I've witnessed it with my own eyes many, many, many times.

I have had 2 or 3 hens kill chicks, I always give them another shot, and they all became wonderful mothers. Whatever circumstances caused them to kill was beyond my guess, but they were not doomed for eternity by it.
Judging by the huge variation in 'backyards' here on BYC I don't think my backyard is much different.;) How big is your backyard WV?
What is different, but not at all unique from what I've read here is my keeping arrangement.
The science, well these days it's how the modern world moves forward and 'so called studies' are the vehicles that drive it forward.
I can't make anyone read, or believe the various studies. The egg industry and the large scale breeders certainly take them seriously.

What do you mean by “parent less”? Are you talking incubator hatched or would chicks taken away from their mothers at hatch fit the description too?
I have very few issues keeping birds alive totally loose during the day by themselves. I currently have exactly 60 8 week old chicks or less running loose. Breed plays a big part. You can’t take a “not so smart breed” and attempt to raise them wild when they’re entirely too tame.

I have 24 chickens (a trio of adults with 7 chicks, plus a trio of young d'Uccles, plus 11 young cream legbars) running around loose in my yard. Along with 2 small dogs, and 32 ducks (18 of which are ducklings under 3 weeks old). :lau Not all of them have mommas watching over them.

What do you mean by “parent less”? Are you talking incubator hatched or would chicks taken away from their mothers at hatch fit the description too?
I have very few issues keeping birds alive totally loose during the day by themselves. I currently have exactly 60 8 week old chicks or less running loose. Breed plays a big part. You can’t take a “not so smart breed” and attempt to raise them wild when they’re entirely too tame.
I mean chicks that have had their mother killed by a predator.
Is one breed smarter than another? I think they adapt as each new generation hatches. It's how previously domesticated chickens create successful feral colonies.
Breed does play a role but, here we go again 'studies have shown' that there really isn't a lot of difference between the basic instincts of 'domesticated' breeds and their feral ancestors.
I don't incubate with an incubator here. All the chicks are hatched by a broody hen.

I have 24 chickens (a trio of adults with 7 chicks, plus a trio of young d'Uccles, plus 11 young cream legbars) running around loose in my yard. Along with 2 small dogs, and 32 ducks (18 of which are ducklings under 3 weeks old). :lau Not all of them have mommas watching over them.
And how many acres is that yard? If my memory serves me you quite a lot of land.

Different kind of read this morning. I’ve only read 3.5 pages but will go back after my question and comment.
I’ve heard a few times in my 62 years of wild birds killing there young after someone or something disturbing the nest.
Could hens killing there young be caused by some repressed instinct arising from a perceived or real outside disturbance while hatching is occurring? As keepers of chickens or any feather or fur animals be somehow be interfering with the natural selection. I am not suggesting anyone person or event created this mishap but may be related to the following.
As keepers-breeders we are in a sense selectively altering genetics away from the natural selection process with all our food chain/pets. Wow this conversation could go on for ever. Man has been modifying our food chain since the dawn of time.
Regards
Wayne

Back
Top Bottom