Broody hen laying egg everyday!

Thanks kla37, I love that name too and it so fits her. She is so tame and sweet, it's quite unbelievable. I always think I should write a children's book about her. Maybe someday.

Three weeks doesn't endanger the average chicken. I had one stay broody for 6 months before giving her some fertile eggs to hatch. She got pretty thin, ate like crazy when the chicks hatched, and, when the chicks were 2 or 3 months old, went broody again. I did try to break her, to no avail.

Now I just let them try to hatch golf balls. I take them off the nest once or twice a day to get the eggs under them; sometimes this breaks them after they've been disturbed several times. When it's a little cooler I'll give them a couple of eggs (bad experiences with chicks born midsummer here.) They usually give up on the golf balls after a month or so. If I get another 6 - monther, I might reconsider.

Quote:

Yes, I realize you are concerned about their health, but from an old man that has had broodies longer than many posters on this forum have been alive, I`d like to encourage you by saying that I have never, in almost 53 years of raising chickens, had a broody that did harm to herself by staying on the nest too long. The self presevation instinct is stronger than the urge to brood and when nature says enough, then they get off the nest and tend to business. People, on the other hand, develope ulcers and endless health problems by worrying about miniscule things like that. All I`m saying is, don`t do that to yourself. The hen will be fine without your help.........Pop

Pop, I love your philosophy. Betcha I don't worry about my chickens any more than you do. I haven't had chickens for as long as you, but I can't be much younger than you....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Pop and you are right, I've worried myself a bit too much over them in the past. It is time to do a little less worrying and a whole lot more living! You are wise.

Back
Top Bottom