Broody Hen Left Eggs

karinaspiraling

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 10, 2011
Clarissa went broody nineteen days ago, and this morning I found her sitting in another nest, her eggs left in the previous nest-cool but maybe not cold. I moved the eggs beside her in the new nest, and she did move a few under her. However, she doesn't look as alert as usual. Usually, even when she's in broody-zen-mode, she keeps her head and neck upright and her eyes open-even if not responsive to our presence {she z-z-e-e-n-n-s..}. Today her eyes are partially closed, her head hanging a bit. This is the second time we've experienced her going broody, the other time was just before this time; in that round she hatched one chick {black snake ate the rest}, and carefully mothered her until she was independent, and then went broody again. She is a diligent brooder~she rarely leaves the nest and has packed on the pounds making her appear massive when sitting. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your prompt reply. I just tried to offer her some water with electrolytes, but it only annoyed her. I left the dish close by. She has moved more of the eggs back under her, with three remaining next to her. She does 'fluff up' when I bring a hand near her eggs, which must be a good sign. Yes, the heat has been brutal here in the NC Piedmont, but ironically cooled down last night when a much-needed rain. That's relieving to hear that the eggs will be okay...do you think she'll rally once the babies are born?

Yes, I think she'll be fine once the chicks hatch and she gets up more often to eat/drink. I too left a water dish by my broody yesterday, as it was 100 degrees here and she didn't look so good. She perked up after she drank. I've been leaving the people door open also, to get more ventilation in there for her. My broody's eggs should hatch tomorrow, so not much longer for her.

well I hope everything goes ok
tongue.png

I suggest you check her for mites and lice, especially roost mites, since she seems more lethargic than normal for a broody. Roost mites only come out to attack the hen at night and run from light, so you need to check after dark with a flashlight and avoid as much light as you can. Look around the vent area, but they might run away pretty fast. I don't know that this is a problem for you, but I think it a good idea to check.

I understand about the black snake. Last year I had one eat all the eggs out from under a broody. Creepy. Luckily I had some eggs in the incubator and was able to give her those chicks to raise.

I agree with Ridgerunner about checking for mites or lice-- they can cause extreme anemia and even death in a setting hen. Are her comb and wattles very pale-- a possible sign of anemia.

My broody this year would not get off the nest on her own, unlike most of the ones I've had before that would get up and eat and drink a little, take a quick dust bath and a big poop, and then go back in (I would let them out early in the am before I let the rest of the flock into the run). This hen was a little too dedicated, so I took her off the nest and took her out every morning, and then she would do all that and then go back in. I would also offer her a drink several times a day, which she would take advantage of though she never seemed willing to get up to get it for herself. I'm all for letting them call the shots for the most part - they seem to know what they're doing usually - but I think she came out of it in much better shape for having had my "help" - at least in no worse shape, and the clutch hatched out just fine -and I sure felt better about it!

You guys rock. We'll keep watch on her today, and check for roost mites tonight. Thanks so much!! Enjoy your Sunday. <3

Back
Top Bottom