Broody hen left her eggs

Silkie2299781

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
Ugh...

So I had/have 2 broody hens (one welbar and one black australorp), started sitting about a week ago, I moved them to an extra coop about 3 days ago with the eggs they had. The welbar is doing great, and her eggs also look great, but I went to the coop tonight, my black australorp was off her eggs, and somehow got to the main coop where she was sitting in the nest box (In the main coop). I immediately moved her eggs to my welbar, but now I'm wondering are the eggs going to survive? It could have easily been 3,4,5 hours.........

Thanks! (if it helps, I think the eggs are at 7-10 days)

The eggs may be fine. They can often tolerate a certain amount of cooling without major problems.

Give them at least a few days, then candle to check whether they have developed properly. The reason for waiting a few days is that live chicks will keep growing, but dead ones will not, so after a few days they are different sizes.

The eggs may be fine. They can often tolerate a certain amount of cooling without major problems.

Give them at least a few days, then candle to check whether they have developed properly. The reason for waiting a few days is that live chicks will keep growing, but dead ones will not, so after a few days they are different sizes.
Thanks! I candled them right away too, and I think one might have died as it was stuck on the side. But I will candle them again in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom