Broody hen left nest after sitting on eggs for 10 hours

bangi

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Jalalabad,Nangarhar, Afghanistan.
Hello,
I have a hen which has been sitting in the nest for the last three days.
So I gave her 13 eggs to sit on.
She sat on them for 10 hours and then got out of the nest and started foraging.
I tried to take her back to the nest but she refused to sit.
Will embryos die or I can put them back under her when she is fully broody?
Thanks

If she only sat on them for 10 hours then I doubt they started developing. But I don’t think they’ll save until she goes properly broody. They may be okay for two or three days but may be worth throwing them out and waiting until she’s been fully broody for a week. Pullets and hens sometimes like to play broody and make us think they are, then once we start making plans they’re like, nah I’m out.

If she only sat on them for 10 hours then I doubt they started developing. But I don’t think they’ll save until she goes properly broody. They may be okay for two or three days but may be worth throwing them out and waiting until she’s been fully broody for a week. Pullets and hens sometimes like to play broody and make us think they are, then once we start making plans they’re like, nah I’m out.
Thanks for your reply.
I can't waste these eggs.
These eggs are of pure aseel Hen.

Thanks for your reply.
I can't waste these eggs.
These eggs are of pure aseel Hen.

Then I’d put them in an incubator. You can’t leave them in the nest for her to go sit on when she feels like it because they won’t develop or hatch properly. Like I said, they probably didn’t start developing but you may only have a week to get them under a hen or in an incubator.

Hello,
I have a hen which has been sitting in the nest for the last three days.
So I gave her 13 eggs to sit on.
She sat on them for 10 hours and then got out of the nest and started foraging.
I tried to take her back to the nest but she refused to sit.
Will embryos die or I can put them back under her when she is fully broody?
Thanks
You don't say how long she was off the nest for.
It is absolutely normal for a hen to leave the nest and go foraging. It's what they are supposed to do. Some hens, often depending on environmental conditions may stay off the nest for two or three hours.

You don't say how long she was off the nest for.
It is absolutely normal for a hen to leave the nest and go foraging. It's what they are supposed to do. Some hens, often depending on environmental conditions may stay off the nest for two or three hours.
Hello,
Thanks for your reply.
My hen is off the nest entirely.
She is not going back to the nest.

Back
Top Bottom