Broody Hen - MITES!

Sophia12003

Chirping
Jan 5, 2014
Just in need of a little advise pleas. We have never really suffered from mites but this summer I seem to be coming across them.
Not relevant but everyone was de wormed using Flubenvet beginning June.
My little hen has been sitting on 4 duck eggs for 18days roughly. She lives with 3 ducks only but has contact with a cockeral that I’ve just throughly treated for mites. Anyway. Today I lifted off and I can visibly see a few mites on the eggs and on my hands and arms 😡. Not Redmite. She was treated with invectimin spot on about a month ago.
what is safe to use whilst she’s on eggs?4 eggs are all fertile.
I have;
Johnson’s mites and lice powder
Poultry scaley leg formulae for leg mite
Invectimin 1%
Battles Louse powder

Panicking!
Thank you in advance for any help x

Yes, she was sitting on eggs at the time and all the fertile ones hatched. (I opened the ones that didn't hatch after they were several days overdue and the hen had abandoned them, those ones were empty.) The chicks seem fine, they are running around, eating, etc.

I am a new chicken owner, but when my broody got mites after researching I used Manna Pro Poultry Protector + Diatomaceous Earth. I sprayed her vent area, under wings, around her neck, and also cleaned the area she was nesting in. Then I dusted her lightly with DE and also lightly dusted DE in the bedding.

It took a couple applications but the mites are gone. I also bought some Elector PSP to have on hand in case we ever need to deal with mites again.
Thank you for the response - was your broody on active eggs at the time and did it have any side effects on the eggs/chicks?

Honestly, it seems like they won't be a huge problem. I almost lost a chick because she had fallen out of the nest our if sight over night and when I found her she was cold and covered in mites. I tried to warm her up but I was running late for something so (yes, I know this next part is stupid and could have endangered the other 2 and any others that hatched) I just shoved her back under mom. When I came back she was doing fine and not a big was on her that I could find. I think they prefer real feathers to hide in so I think they all went onto mom, who was strong enough to handle more than a day old baby.

3 / 4 eggs hatched happily so it appears it was safe to do 👍🏼
596DA612-966F-44DC-8758-B7B1157F9E8E.jpeg

Just circling back with an update. The treatment I mentioned earlier in this thread seems to have been fine. All the chicks that hatched are happy, healthy and running around at 3 weeks.

A bit late to this. It just caught my eye.
I'm pleased to read you had a good outcome.
You mentioned that you were pretty certain the mites weren't red mites.
Was your hen sitting in a straw or similar nest?
I've had problem with sitting hens getting bitten by mites here. I was using straw as bedding.
This article explains a bit about what I discovered.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/straw-itch-mite.75561/

I am a new chicken owner, but when my broody got mites after researching I used Manna Pro Poultry Protector + Diatomaceous Earth. I sprayed her vent area, under wings, around her neck, and also cleaned the area she was nesting in. Then I dusted her lightly with DE and also lightly dusted DE in the bedding.

It took a couple applications but the mites are gone. I also bought some Elector PSP to have on hand in case we ever need to deal with mites again.

I was hoping someone could address the issue of Mite treatment and unhatched eggs. Are there any problems for the chicks?

Yes, she was sitting on eggs at the time and all the fertile ones hatched. (I opened the ones that didn't hatch after they were several days overdue and the hen had abandoned them, those ones were empty.) The chicks seem fine, they are running around, eating, etc.
Thank you for clarifying! X

Back
Top Bottom