Broody Hen - New To This!

Well I agree that most of the time, broodys know much better than people how to look after their eggs, I just had one that would come of the nest, and then not go back one for far to long. I had to put her back on a far few times, and once the eggs almost got completely cold, and she still wasn't going back on.
Apart from that, she's done very well though.

My rooster is a lavender Orpington. My hens are RIR, Ameraucana, EE, OE, and BCM. Who should I attempt to hatch? I know nothing about chicken breeding and genetics. It’s on my list of things to learn. Just wasn’t planning on it happening this soon!
With a Lavender Orpington rooster and those hens, I expect most or all of the chicks to be black.

Since the rooster is an Orpington (brown egg breed):
Pullets that hatch from brown eggs should grow up to lay brown eggs.
Pullets that hatch from blue, green, or olive eggs may grow up to lay green eggs (chance of blue or olive), or they may grow up to lay brown eggs.
Cockerels don't lay eggs of course, but they inherit the same egg color genes.

I’ve got my first broody hen. Just started today. I keep taking her out of the box and putting her with her flock and trying to distract with snacks but she keeps ending up back on the nest - sometimes different nests. After closing them up tonight, I took her out and put her on a roost.

Should I keep doing what I’m doing? Should I give her fake eggs? I do have a rooster. Is there a way to tell which eggs are fertile so I can give her some? Or should I get chicks at the feed store? What should I do? I don’t want it to “spread”. My laying girls don’t lay enough as it is. But I’m okay with a few more chicks if that’s the better route. However, it’s getting cold now and *I* don’t want to be caring for chicks.

Thoughts???
I have a broody, I used to try to snap her out of it, now I just let her be. Eventually, they snap out of it on their own. Another option would be to some new babies under her :)

I also half-heartedly break my one perpetually broody Orp. Every time I go outside, I take her off the nest, and put her down out of its sight line. I don't know if it helps her break faster, but at least she gets some sunshine, a few bugs, and exercise!

I’ve got my first broody hen. Just started today. I keep taking her out of the box and putting her with her flock and trying to distract with snacks but she keeps ending up back on the nest - sometimes different nests. After closing them up tonight, I took her out and put her on a roost.

Should I keep doing what I’m doing? Should I give her fake eggs? I do have a rooster. Is there a way to tell which eggs are fertile so I can give her some? Or should I get chicks at the feed store? What should I do? I don’t want it to “spread”. My laying girls don’t lay enough as it is. But I’m okay with a few more chicks if that’s the better route. However, it’s getting cold now and *I* don’t want to be caring for chicks.

Thoughts???
Put her in a cage with NO nesting material. Just food and water for a few days (can’t remember how many days). We called this the Cluck House when I was a young child.

Back
Top Bottom