broody hen nose problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken crazed 1o1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    My broody Silkie is having a nose problen she has a pice of straw in her noise and it is hard for her to breath becuase she has boogers and i have a silkie chick with a lot of boogers in 1 of his noise holes I dont want her to die as I raised her alone with no chicks she is so friendly even when broody what do i do:(

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. chickenbaguette

chickenbaguette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Well, at least pull the straw out. Wash their noses. Steam can help to get things moving, make it runnier so it comes out. It's not right for a chicken to have nasal discharge. Are they coughing or sneezing? - flu.

3. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    yes she does sneez every now and then and i tried to take the straw out put i acceddentaly pushed it in more .[​IMG]

4. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    and her nose also smells

5. chicken crazed 1o1

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    anyone ?

6. Kazzandra

Kazzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    NC Appalachian Mountains
    Without pics or more description of what the problem is, how long it has been going on, her overall condition, etc., we're shooting in the dark.

Try some VetRX or some other aromatic essential oil like it on her wattles and see if that helps.

If you can get a picture and post it, it would help. I can't tell if you're reacting to something that was simply mechanical irritation, or she has some sort of bacteria that needs systemic treating.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by