Broody Hen Only Hatched 1 Egg

Hotpocket52

Chirping
Jan 27, 2020
So my broody hen only hatched 1 successful chick, the other fell out of the nest and didn't make it. I removed the chick into my house after 2 days so it could eat and drink and it's doing great. I don't know if I should reintroduce it to the hen? Her other eggs look like they are not good but she still won't leave the nest. The Texas heat is 100 degrees and up. Would it be better to keep the chick in the house? I hate that it's so lonely but I'm not sure what to do. Any kind of advice would be awesome.

Have you candled the remaining eggs?
I would try and give the chick back to mama. Slip him underneath her and monitor over the next few hours on how she reacts. She should eventually prioritize the chick over the unhatched eggs.

How old is the mother hen? Where is her nest spot? If it's in the coop, how many other chickens and space is there?

Have you candled the remaining eggs?
I would try and give the chick back to mama. Slip him underneath her and monitor over the next few hours on how she reacts. She should eventually prioritize the chick over the unhatched eggs.

How old is the mother hen? Where is her nest spot? If it's in the coop, how many other chickens and space is there?
I candled last night, they looked developed but no movements or sounds. I really think the heat got to them. Ive already tossed out most of the eggs. This is her first time sitting. She's in a coop thats off the ground with a pretty deep nest that the chick would have to try hard to climb out. There's 2 other hens. I usually free range and close them up at night. I'll probably toss the remaining eggs soon since I can't see movement.

I candled last night, they looked developed but no movements or sounds. I really think the heat got to them. Ive already tossed out most of the eggs. This is her first time sitting. She's in a coop thats off the ground with a pretty deep nest that the chick would have to try hard to climb out. There's 2 other hens. I usually free range and close them up at night. I'll probably toss the remaining eggs soon since I can't see movement.
You can always crack them open just in case if you're comfortable.

Once a chick hatches I can move a broody hen wherever I want and she'll stay. I'd move her to a nest closer to the ground so the chick doesn't struggle to keep up if mamma leaves.

You can always crack them open just in case if you're comfortable.

Once a chick hatches I can move a broody hen wherever I want and she'll stay. I'd move her to a nest closer to the ground so the chick doesn't struggle to keep up if mamma leaves.
Thanks for the advice! I reintroduced the chick to the hen and she's now prioritizing it. She nested with it on the ground last night and I made sure it has easy access to food and water. They are scratching around in the chicken yard now. So far so good. đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom