Broody hen question

HennyPennyMama

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I have a 10 month old Barred Rock that is broody. I do not intend on having her hatch any eggs, nor do I have a rooster.
Reading through the threads on how to break the behavior I have a question.
1. Is it best to keep her in the coop (nesting/nighttime area) or in the run (yard)?
Thanks in advance!

I put my broodies I want to break in a wire cage (24"x24") away by themselves (in a shed when it is cool out, in my basement during hot summer days) and keep the light on and turn on a rock radio station. That always breaks them in a few days. The key is to make it so distracting they don't want to sit on eggs. To do that, they like dark, quiet places so the opposite breaks them. Works every time for me.

I put my broody breaker in the run as there's not enough room for it in the coop. IF you opt for the run but do not feel it is safe to leave her caged overnight in the run, then I would remove her at night, put her directly on the roost in the coop, and then re-cage her once you're up the next morning.

I put it in the coop, unless it's too hot then I move crate around outside to keep it in the shade during the day.

Back
Top Bottom