Broody hen question

Padorna23

Chirping
Oct 19, 2020
New Jersey
Hey guys so I have a broody hen. My problem is that I really don’t have another area to put her. Would I be able to use a large rubber maid storage container and keep her in my garage with food and water for a few days. Obviously I have holes drilled for proper ventilation. I’m just not sure what to do exactly. Thanks for all the help!! Or better yet should I go over to TSC and get two chicks for her??

I don’t however I can probably find one quite easy second hand in my area. Do you think this would be the best way?
Yes with cover over it so she feels protected. but then it makes it easier to let her out for a dust bath and drink and snack and poop. It also helps her be accepted back into the flock with her babies afterwards

So they are primarily kept in the coop and run so I’ve been going out every hour to pick her up and put her with the other birds. I just let them out to free range and she followed so maybe it will knock it out of her

Do you want her to stay broody or try to break the broodiness? If you let her stay broody it can spread throughout the entire flock. This happened in our flock last fall. I think using a covered dog create is the best option if you don't mind her being broody.

If you don't want her to stay broody you can keep doing what you're doing: remove her from the nest throughout the day. Although that doesn't work all the time. You might have to remove the nest entirely. There are many other ways to break a broody hen, like putting frozen vegetables under her or putting her in an elevated dog crate so that cooler air can go under her. In the end, removing the nest and locking our broody hens out of the coop is what worked for us.

Do you want her to stay broody or try to break the broodiness? If you let her stay broody it can spread throughout the entire flock. This happened in our flock last fall. I think using a covered dog create is the best option if you don't mind her being broody.

If you don't want her to stay broody you can keep doing what you're doing: remove her from the nest throughout the day. Although that doesn't work all the time. You might have to remove the nest entirely. There are many other ways to break a broody hen, like putting frozen vegetables under her or putting her in an elevated dog crate so that cooler air can go under her. In the end, removing the nest and locking our broody hens out of the coop is what worked for us.
Thanks!! I did hear about putting something frozen under her. I don’t want her to stay broody as they are just egg layers. I will keep doing what I’m doing with removing her from the nesting box and see what happens.

Thanks!! I did hear about putting something frozen under her. I don’t want her to stay broody as they are just egg layers. I will keep doing what I’m doing with removing her from the nesting box and see what happens.
I think that the coldness helps disrupt their hormones so that they stop brooding, at least that's what I read. I didn't learn that trick until after our two girls stopped brooding so I haven't tried it personally, but others have said it can work. Good luck!

Breaking a broody via broody jail:
Put her in an isolation cage with some food and water, in sight of the others (in the coop if it's not too hot or in/near the run is ideal). A wire cage elevated to air flow under her would be the best option, however I've used everything from a brooder to a dog exercise pen.

Keep her in the cage around the clock for about 2 days. At that time, if she's shows fewer signs of broodiness (puffing up, flattening down and growling, tik tik tik noise) you can let her out to test her. If she runs back to the nest at any point (usually they don't do it immediately, but maybe after 15 minutes, maybe an hour) then she's not yet sufficiently broken and needs to go back to the cage for another 24 hours. Then let her out and test her again. Repeat until she's no longer going to the nest box.

IF the isolation cage is not safe for overnight stay (i.e. sits outside the run) then put her on the roost at night, and retrieve her from the nest box the next morning and put her back in the cage. It may take a little longer this way but better than letting a predator get to her.

Back
Top Bottom