Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Lol! Too funny, ninja chicken!

I'm seriously considering getting a Silkie at some point just for the fact that they are known for their broodiness. What are their personalities like?

2. goosegirl6

goosegirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Thanks Lady of McCamley!

3. goosegirl6

goosegirl6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2013
    Central Alaska
    Hi! No, I don't currently have geese, but I have before, and just love them, far more exciting than chickens. No offense meant. Lol! I actually ordered a pair of White Chinese geese that will be here next month.[​IMG]Yes, we should definatly keep tabs on the clutch. Another one of my Chanteclers has been broody, too, so today I put a clutch of 8 eggs under her. How many eggs can one hen handle? Thanks!

4. DarynA146

DarynA146 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    south africa
    i think one of my silkies are also sneaking other eggs into her nest

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Varies with the bird, but generally they are calm and friendly. My Silkie is not particularly friendly...she is a bit grumpy...but she is a very, very good broody so she's almost always under the influence of broody hormones so I forgive her...uhm...temperamentalness. She is a quiet well behaved bird, just not one to want to be petted.

Lady of McCamley

1 person likes this.
  6. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thank you!

I'm comfortable with birds that aren't super friendly, my Hamburgs are SO flighty (unless you have treats in hand, of course). I love their quirkiness, so it's all good.

I love the way Silkies look, I just wonder if they would do very well in our area. We live in the high desert of AZ, so lots of high temps in the summer and high desert landscape which means lots of unfriendly plants and animals. That's one reason we chose a flighty breed, we wanted them to have a good chance of survival in our area. I always accompany them while they free range, but we've had a few issues even with supervision.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I would be concerned with the feet feathering and the possible burrs and thorns...I used to live in southwest Arizona (Ajo to be exact), so I remember how inhospitable that area can be with plants and critters, and I would be a bit concerned about free ranging in the bush with the leg feathers and the fuzzy hairlike quality of the Silkie feathers...however, I never owned a Silkie down there, so I don't know first hand (grandma had a chicken farm of the traditional layers, but no exotics like Silkies).

Not that it couldn't work. I live in the rainy Northwest now, and mud abounds, which isn't friendly for feathered feet either, but it works because I keep my Silkie in special quarters for the queen broodie that she is...and it has an attached grown out pen on deep wood chips.

If she becomes your main chick hatching broody, she will always be in the nest brooding so it might not be such an issue.

Hopefully someone with actual experience will pipe in otherwise find the Arizona thread and ask.

Lady of McCamley

8. TAMMACLEAN

TAMMACLEAN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Maine

Silkies are usually sweet tempered. I've had a couple that were a little "uppity" but still nice. I even have a white silkie rooster that took over being a momma for some babies we had. It was the sweetest thing to watch!

9. Dknichelson

Dknichelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    Oh.my.goodness, they're so sweet! Even our Roo is a sweetie! They're funny, mild mannered and excellent mothers. :)

10. Dknichelson

Dknichelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    I got her off the nest yesterday and she is FOR SURE sneaking eggs! She's up to 9 now! I guess the only way to stop her egg hoarding would have been to have moved her when she went broody, but we really don't have anywhere else for her to go.

Anyone have any tips for stopping a broody hen from sneaking more eggs? We really don't need a dozen chicks added to our flock! lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by