Broody Hen Thread!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmerBoy24, May 1, 2011.

1. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    I know what you mean, we've already had to extract a cactus needle from the foot of one of our pullets, it snuck in and I never even noticed her limping or anything. We found it on a routine foot inspection. I do wonder about the feathered feet too. I'd love to have some of the more exotic birds, but I want them to be safe and happy too. I'll go over to the AZ thread and ask around, thanks!

2. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks! I love the way they look, they are so sweet looking, I'm sure they can be little divas too, though. [​IMG]

3. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks! I love that they are good mothers and the roos are so awesome looking, glad to know they can be sweet too!

4. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Looks like I really do have my 1st broody hen!!!!!!!! She slept in the nest night before, but got out yesterday all day. Then slept in there again last night, & hasn't budged! I'll give her a few days b4 I give her real eggs. I'm so excited its insane!!! Lol

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. idontknowsquat

idontknowsquat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    my sweet little cochin did it and is still stealing 2 weeks in !!!!

7. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    How fun!

8. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    chicksurreal maybe I could recommend that you could non feathered feet silkie bantams I have a couple and they have both gone broody so far one of them has just hatched a couple of chicks here she is: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jadeguppy

jadeguppy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2014
    NW Florida
    All my hens are laying I the nest my broody is in. She is collecting up to 6 eggs a day. Thankfully none are fertile and I manage to pull them every couple of days. She is a sweet girl and even allowed my son to pet her while on the eggs. She is a blue Wyandotte we raised from day 2.

10. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Decisions decisions!!! What eggs do I give her??? Lol I've never had a broody before, so considering giving her some from the bator so it won't take as long to see her with them. But I don't want to cheat her outta the process. Do I give her Buff Orp eggs, Sizzle project eggs, or just a very few turkey eggs? Oh its so hard! I want her to hatch them all!!! LMBO!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by