Broody Hen Thread!

Hey my hen has hatched some mix eggs and pure polish eggs. Will she try to fix the polish heads by plucking the feathers off? She is a great mom though.

I think this sort of thing really depends on the hen. I don't have polish, but I have had hens hatch off crested chicks and raise them with no issues. I would just keep an eye on her for the first week or so and make sure there is no trouble.

I think this sort of thing really depends on the hen. I don't have polish, but I have had hens hatch off crested chicks and raise them with no issues. I would just keep an eye on her for the first week or so and make sure there is no trouble.

X 2. Most likely not. Broodies are very accepting of their chicks. All they have to do is cheep, have two legs, and follow mom.

Went out to count heads tonight and was missing a chick! After much searching and pulling hens out of nests, disrupting the whole group I found her under "momma's" twin in the next nest! Much chaos ensued but finally got everyone settled then twin hen climbed in on top of momma and babies. Pulled her out and put her in her own next and stuck the baby she had swiped back under her. They both settled quite contentedly. Have you ever heard of such a thing? These are 3 week old chicks even.

Sounds like Mama Hen was bitchin to her sister about her unruly chick and the "twin" sister volunteered to take that chick for the night :)

I have a Wyandotte sitting on eggs. She just started yesterday. She will leave the nest to go eat and of course she is in the favorite nesting box. So, when she got out of it this morning another hen got in, and I am presuming laid an egg in there. Then when that hen got out the Wyandotte, Signey, got back in. I am not sure how many eggs she is sitting on, I am going to check tonight. My question is, since she just started sitting yesterday, is it ok if I put a couple of extra eggs under her tonight? Then also, what happens if she keeps getting up to eat and another hen lays in the nest? Because that could potentially keep happening. Thanks for any advice.

I have a Wyandotte sitting on eggs. She just started yesterday. She will leave the nest to go eat and of course she is in the favorite nesting box. So, when she got out of it this morning another hen got in, and I am presuming laid an egg in there. Then when that hen got out the Wyandotte, Signey, got back in. I am not sure how many eggs she is sitting on, I am going to check tonight. My question is, since she just started sitting yesterday, is it ok if I put a couple of extra eggs under her tonight? Then also, what happens if she keeps getting up to eat and another hen lays in the nest? Because that could potentially keep happening. Thanks for any advice.

By allowing other hens to lay in her nest you are creating a staggered hatch situation, which is not good. Once you decide to allow a hen to hatch you should gather whatever eggs you want her to hatch and mark them...a simple sharpie marker line the whole way around the center of the eggs is easiest to see in the nest.
Give her all of the eggs at the same time and if you aren't blocking her from other hens then you need to pull any and all unmarked eggs daily.
Staggered situations create a lot of problems for the hens and chicks, especially if the eggs hatch dates are spread out any further than 48 hours, after 48 hours you run a high risk of the hen leaving the nest with her hatched chicks and abandoning the slower eggs, even if they are viable.

By allowing other hens to lay in her nest you are creating a staggered hatch situation, which is not good. Once you decide to allow a hen to hatch you should gather whatever eggs you want her to hatch and mark them...a simple sharpie marker line the whole way around the center of the eggs is easiest to see in the nest.
Give her all of the eggs at the same time and if you aren't blocking her from other hens then you need to pull any and all unmarked eggs daily.
Staggered situations create a lot of problems for the hens and chicks, especially if the eggs hatch dates are spread out any further than 48 hours, after 48 hours you run a high risk of the hen leaving the nest with her hatched chicks and abandoning the slower eggs, even if they are viable.

X 2.

Back
Top Bottom