Broody Hen Thread!

My early birthday present from Buffy.

Right now of the 10 laying age hens 5 are broodie 4 out of 5 and one Cream Legbar. The fifth Silkie was first to go broodie and about the time she broker her sisters started.
The Silkies act vicious, reach in there and you swear they are going to rip your arm off and beat you with it, the Cream Legbar in the other coop just gives a relatively gentle peck by comparison despite being twice as big as the Silkies.

We've got a first time broody hen due to hatch 6/9. There were 12 to start and we're down to 8. I don't know what happened to the first 2 missing eggs- thinking maybe they were duds and she ate them?? Nowhere to be found. 3rd got picked up in a higher nest box by an unaware DH, egg got refrigerated and cracked for breakfast, sigh. Either broody moved it or another hen stole it, not sure. Today another was gone and this time there was a gooey mess and a couple bits of egg shell- maybe an accidental crack that led to a feast.

Changed out the straw and cleaned up the eggs as well as able with a dry cloth-- all with glaring broody circling- we're getting close to the lockdown date and she's gotten much nastier to deal with, as well she should. Is there something else I should be doing about the yolk debris on the remaining eggs? There isn't a smell, so we're not talking about a rotten exploding egg, but not an ideal situation-- also don't want to mess with things any more than necessary. Suggestions?
I, personally, would leave them as is, especially if they are close to hatching. I have had eggs disappear before as well. Never figured out where they went. That is part of the hazard of leaving them in the "general population" but as I am not doing it in mass numbers, I kind of let them do it naturally with a little bit of supervision. It doesn't always turn out perfect but the system works for me.

Good luck!

I, personally, would leave them as is, especially if they are close to hatching. I have had eggs disappear before as well. Never figured out where they went. That is part of the hazard of leaving them in the "general population" but as I am not doing it in mass numbers, I kind of let them do it naturally with a little bit of supervision. It doesn't always turn out perfect but the system works for me.

Good luck!

Thank you! Other than cleaning out the gooey nest with fresh straw and the quick wipe down I will leave them be. We're on the same page there- whatever happens happens- she's doing pretty well in there with the flock and chose the floor nesting box, so this will be our first adventure in letting the broody do all the work. I will put up a protection cage so if any chick ventures too far while broody's still sitting waiting for others to hatch, it doesn't become a snack or entertainment for the flock. Glad to have started with 12- we'll be happy with whatever we get. =)

Our 2 little babies from yesterday were all we got this hatch. I really wanted some Welsummers but really don't have the room at the moment for too many more chicks so 2 is great. 2 of the wellie eggs were duds. One started but quit. Am hoping for pullets as these will be the last 2 hatched from Johann's line, would really like to keep them.

You really need to separate them if they both go broody at the same time.

RubyNala97 I love the broody area you have set up. Mine is going to be similar with the three walled nesting box under the regular nesting boxes and an enclosed area extending off that. I'll have to try to get a picture today. What are you going to do with the chicks once they outgrow the nursery box? We have been debating that problem for a few days. One of our Welsummer hens proved with the last clutch of hatchlings that they cannot be trusted with newly fledged chicks. I saw them peck one of them rather hard and later found one with the back of it's neck denuded of skin and feathers. Undoubtedly the Welsummers again. I think most of the problem was that the mom went back to the flock after only 2 weeks of brooding post hatching and started to lay again.

Not my setup (I wish) I was just commenting on someone else's post. :)

Right now of the 10 laying age hens 5 are broodie 4 out of 5 and one Cream Legbar. The fifth Silkie was first to go broodie and about the time she broker her sisters started.
The Silkies act vicious, reach in there and you swear they are going to rip your arm off and beat you with it, the Cream Legbar in the other coop just gives a relatively gentle peck by comparison despite being twice as big as the Silkies.

That's so funny how each chicken really is different. My broody silkies see me coming and just roll their eyes and lift up their butts. :gig

I set 12 eggs yesterday I think. I left my broody keep the nest she was obsessed with.

when we get closer to hatch day, I'm going to set her up a pen within the coop I think

Back
Top Bottom