Broody Hen Thread!

I have a welsummer chicken that went broody yesterday and I got some EE, Maran, and some Australorp eggs from a friend and put them under her. We already had a broody bantam and she hatched hers three weeks ago
1f604.png
. I wish the rest of you good luck with hatching eggs
1f44d.png

We have chicks!! But she's being really pecked at by broody! I'm worried that she seems really confused and upset, what should I do??

Last edited:
I have a broody sitting on eggs due to hatch June 17th! Okay dumb question but its both of our first time hatching eggs lol---so for lockdown should I just stop taking the broody off the nest the 15th (3 days before hatch) or wait it'll I see an egg pip?

Tried candling again tonight while I was outside. Flashlight must not be powerful enough maybe. I couldn't really see inside any of them, especially the easter egger eggs. They're all dark on the inside.

I don't have a heat lamp! Can I put a heating pad under them??

She's rejecting them!
sad.png
I'm so sorry. Yes you can use a heating pad. There is a whole thread here on BYC. Search 'Momma Heating Pad'. It really does work.

Try not to hold it against your hen. Some just aren't 'mommy' material.

I have a broody sitting on eggs due to hatch June 17th! Okay dumb question but its both of our first time hatching eggs lol---so for lockdown should I just stop taking the broody off the nest the 15th (3 days before hatch) or wait it'll I see an egg pip?

If you are hatching chicken eggs, they take 21 days to develop. Lock down is considered day 18 forward.

Yes, stop taking the hen off the nest day 18. (I actually never take my hens off the nest but allow them access to a broody run. I let the hen decide when to get up, but many on list to physically take the hen off each day).

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom