Broody Hen Thread!

This is. My first time that one of my hens go broody. I decided to let her be and she did a great job. She is a black star hen.
1f606.png

Aww how beautiful!! How many did she hatch? Cant wait for my fluff bums to grow up and have their little broods
1f424.png

I integrated my Bantam cross broody and her chicks with the others in the coop, but now in addition to her babies she is sitting on four half grown Orpington chicks! Gotta try to get a picture. This girl's an overachiever.

barnie.gif
I am missing one egg from the nest box. I looked around it, and around where the girls had been laying. Brought the other ten in, and candled. Since the eggs vary from day 18 to day 12, I can't be sure what is what. Just that one was cracked (no development) and the incubator STINKS! Not sure I am going to get any chicks. I will candle again when it is dark enough to see in them. No movement tonight, they get tossed (very gently so there are no explosions).
I can't take it. This hatch is over. I will be sure they are dead (eggtopsies) but ... Darn. I really messed up. I know better too.

Last edited:
I integrated my Bantam cross broody and her chicks with the others in the coop, but now in addition to her babies she is sitting on four half grown Orpington chicks! Gotta try to get a picture. This girl's an overachiever.

Yes. Some broodies just love to be mommas...and yes, some are definitely over achievers.

Found one of my Silkies in the middle if the field, no shade at all, sitting on a clutch of 7 eggs, way too many for her to cover. She just hatched a clutch 4 weeks ago, so I brought the eggs in and set the 'bator. They are not all her eggs either, so guess someone else liked her spot in the middke if nowhere.

If she resets, I'm going to try and move her to a coop and shade.

So now I've got 2 broodies on 2 eggs each, Silkies of course, 5 in a 'bator with hatch day next Wednesday, and noe these 7. Will candle in a few days to see what I've got going.

Hello, I have a hen who has been sitting on 4 eggs. She was "due" Sunday but two came early. Unfortuntely, both passed. Looks like the first was pecked, not sjre if by mom or other hen as I did not seperate her from the flock.

The other, I pulled away from mom, still wet, incase it was Mom who pecked the first one. I put her under a lignt for about 15 minutes but she remained lathargic. I have since put her back under Mom realizing she needed considerably more warmth. I feel terrible that i was not prepared. I was literally going to research today!! I am new at this and would love some advice as I have two more eggs that have yet to hatch.

Thank you!

How funny...

barnie.gif
I am missing one egg from the nest box. I looked around it, and around where the girls had been laying. Brought the other ten in, and candled. Since the eggs vary from day 18 to day 12, I can't be sure what is what. Just that one was cracked (no development) and the incubator STINKS! Not sure I am going to get any chicks. I will candle again when it is dark enough to see in them. No movement tonight, they get tossed (very gently so there are no explosions).
I can't take it. This hatch is over. I will be sure they are dead (eggtopsies) but ... Darn. I really messed up. I know better too.
Sorry you are having such a hard time....
hit.gif
Hope things get better...

Hello, I have a hen who has been sitting on 4 eggs. She was "due" Sunday but two came early. Unfortuntely, both passed. Looks like the first was pecked, not sjre if by mom or other hen as I did not seperate her from the flock.

The other, I pulled away from mom, still wet, incase it was Mom who pecked the first one. I put her under a lignt for about 15 minutes but she remained lathargic. I have since put her back under Mom realizing she needed considerably more warmth. I feel terrible that i was not prepared. I was literally going to research today!! I am new at this and would love some advice as I have two more eggs that have yet to hatch.

Thank you!
I would separate her right away. Just make a makeshift separation around her nest so she can have some privacy. Those chicks need protection. You can use some chicken wire but you will have to put something around the bottom because little chicks can get thru. I use an old sheet to wrap around the bottom. It doesnt have to be fancy, just quick. One of my chicks got out and away from Mom and now she is blind from being pecked by the other flock members. Mom couldnt get to her to protect her. So just make sure those chicks cant get away from her.
Good luck
fl.gif

She did! Unfortunately one of the 2 remaining eggs didn't make it thru unzipping.but these are the 2 happy chicks.
Cute!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom