Broody Hen Thread!

I need advice! I have a broody that has been sitting on eggs in the shed for 4 weeks now.... I don't think any chicks are hatching. I haven't tried but would like to move her to the coop and set her on some new eggs. Is that a good idea or should I leave her be until she figures out her eggs are duds?

I need advice! I have a broody that has been sitting on eggs in the shed for 4 weeks now.... I don't think any chicks are hatching. I haven't tried but would like to move her to the coop and set her on some new eggs. Is that a good idea or should I leave her be until she figures out her eggs are duds?

At this rate, I'd try to source some day old chicks locally and not force her to sit another 3 weeks. That could be really detrimental to her health. OR, try to find someone willing to give up some of their pre-incubated eggs so there's less of a wait.

At this rate, I'd try to source some day old chicks locally and not force her to sit another 3 weeks. That could be really detrimental to her health. OR, try to find someone willing to give up some of their pre-incubated eggs so there's less of a wait.

I agree, her health needs to be first priority... day olds or partially incubated are both good options.

She was stealing others non fertilized eggs to hatch so I slipped fertilized eggs in and now she's a proud mama and still hatching

Attachments

• IMG_1155.JPG
    IMG_1155.JPG
    543.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1159.JPG
    IMG_1159.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    510.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1169.JPG
    IMG_1169.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 12
I am so eggcited for this hatch! This is the second batch that is from our own hens and roosters. I am hoping for some lavenders to make it to add to our lavender pen.

Attachments

• IMG_3023[1].JPG
    IMG_3023[1].JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3024[1].JPG
    IMG_3024[1].JPG
    625 KB · Views: 12
My Sissy is finally broody!! I bought some fertilized eggs for her - chocolate orpingtons and blue wheaten ameraucanas. I am so excited! My buff orpington, Bridget, is eyeballing the eggs when Sissy leaves for her daily break. Bridget, Spot and Goldy are both acting a bit broody. Spot will sit on unfertilized eggs until I take them, and last time she held on to one and tried to keep it. After I remove the eggs, she leaves, so I am hesitant to buy more eggs for her.

I'm hoping to get an ameraucana roo and hen to keep. I would love to breed ameraucanas!

How many chicks can a Silkie Mama raise? She has successfully hatched 1 egg and I have day old chicks coming tomorrow to keep the 1 hatchling company.
During warm weather ours do fine with 6-8, during cold weather I keep it 4-6 depending on hen and chick size. It isn't about feeding or wrangling issues, it is about keeping them warm/covered. They need to be able to cover them until feathered or be in a setting that provides them supplemental support for warming the chicks. So obviously chick size comes into consideration also...they can cover banty chicks longer than the larger growing large fowl breeds.

I have a quick question about moving a broody hen at the end of her hatch. I have a broody buff Orp. that I am letting broody with the flock and so far it hasn't been too much trouble. The thing I am worried about now is that the nest box she is in is right next to the people door that we leave open during the day for the chickens to free range. I am worried that the chicks might get out the door on accident when they are just starting to leave the nest and get lost. I don't have a good place to separate them from the flock and I don't really want to, but I do have a out of the way place that I could place a new nest for her. Its further from the door, and less chance that the chicks would get confused or lost, and it would be easier to place food and water close to her for the babies. Problem is she is on the 18th day and I am worried if I move her, especially if I am not going to lock her in that she will just leave and go back to her old nest box that she chose on day one. So would it be better to wait until the eggs hatch to move her? or should I just leave her and let her work it out on her own? My last broody that I gave some chicks too was in the same box before this, and she moved her chicks to a new nest in the back corner of our coup like a week after she had them. So not sure if this broody will do the same..?

I just had one of my Ameraucanas go broody. Since I don't have a rooster, the poor thing is sitting for nothing! I always hatch in an incubator and have several doz chicks cheeping away right now which is why I think she's gone broody. I've decided to get her some eggs to hatch, but I've never let a chicken do my hatching before. Any suggestions or things I should know about broody hen hatching vs incubating? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom