broody hen turning other hens broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickinflock, May 22, 2012.

1. newchickinflock

newchickinflock In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    I have a backyard coop with 4 bantam cochins, 1 a pullet about 4 months old and the other 3 are all about 10 months and laying. One of my hens went broody and im letting her sit on some fertilized eggs to hatch them, since she has went broody 1 of my other hens now wants to spend all day in the box as well! Is my 2nd hen going broody because my 1st hen is or is this just coincidence?

2. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Songster

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    I had the same thing happen - this is the first time I have had broody hens. I had one go broody nearly three weeks ago, then a couple days later another one did too. Luckily, that's all that have gone broody! I have 22 hens and pullets between six months and fourteen months old, and sure don't need them all to go broody, LOL. I'm swimming in chicks already (17 six-week olds, and 8 four-week olds), but looking forward to seeing how well the broody's hatches go.

3. newchickinflock

newchickinflock In the Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Do you think your first chicken going broody caused the 2nd too?

4. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Songster

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    I don't know either, but I had a White Leghorn go broody (I know weird), she did hatch 5 chicks though, then 1 week later at second White leghorn goes broody, then 2 Buff Orpingtons. Going to try and break the broodiness, no more babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: