broody hen turning other hens broody?

newchickinflock

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
I have a backyard coop with 4 bantam cochins, 1 a pullet about 4 months old and the other 3 are all about 10 months and laying. One of my hens went broody and im letting her sit on some fertilized eggs to hatch them, since she has went broody 1 of my other hens now wants to spend all day in the box as well! Is my 2nd hen going broody because my 1st hen is or is this just coincidence?

I had the same thing happen - this is the first time I have had broody hens. I had one go broody nearly three weeks ago, then a couple days later another one did too. Luckily, that's all that have gone broody! I have 22 hens and pullets between six months and fourteen months old, and sure don't need them all to go broody, LOL. I'm swimming in chicks already (17 six-week olds, and 8 four-week olds), but looking forward to seeing how well the broody's hatches go.

I don't know either, but I had a White Leghorn go broody (I know weird), she did hatch 5 chicks though, then 1 week later at second White leghorn goes broody, then 2 Buff Orpingtons. Going to try and break the broodiness, no more babies!!

Back
Top Bottom