Broody Hen vs. Incubator??

Preservation Acres

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm wanting to become a breeder. I'd really like to let broody hens do all the work for me and avoid using an incubator. How naive am I?

Be kind...
smile.png

When I was paying $60.00 for a doz of eggs to hatch, I put em under a hen, not in the bator, I know if they were in a bator I would mess something up and get nothing to hatch, so I made a hen go to set and had a good hatch. Thank God for a good ol broody hen..........

You just want to make sure that the hen is broody before you stick the eggs under her. I would get some of her eggs, shake them up ( so they cant develop ), and let her sit for a week to know she is fully broody. I'll be letting my hens sit this year, so I can hatch lots. lol
smile.png

ETA: WELCOME TO BYC!

Last edited:
Quote:
If your looking for a breed that goes broody on the drop of a hat, I would suggest getting a couple silkie pullets to do the job. I have silkies that will go broody when there are no eggs to sit on. I also have to make sure to collect the eggs everyday, otherwise I have hens sitting. And when one goes broody, the others follow.

Making a hen go broody is very simple, all you have to do is NOT want the hen to go broody and she will, other than that there is no way to make one go broody they just do it when they want.

Back
Top Bottom