Broody hen with a hole in her back HELP

Imma Okie

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 2, 2011
Oklahoma
It's day 26 on a nest for one of my guinea hens. Her back was raw a few days ago and now it appears to be a large hole the size of a silver dollar. It's black in color. What can I try to put on her? She nested outside of the guinea house. I am not sure if something got ahold of her or if she has just rubbed her back beyond raw on the limb that is just above her nest.
What can I put on it? It won't be easy, as she is a mean mama but if I don't try now, I don't see me catching her easily once she leaves the nest.

blue kote which might be the easiest because its in a spray can, you get it at the farm store. If you can't get that just antibiotic cream, or betadine.

She may have been spider bit, it happens.
i would just keep an eye on it , sometimes things are better left alone, the back is mostly skin and bone it is not gonna heal like a cut on the leg or breast,.

blue kote which might be the easiest because its in a spray can, you get it at the farm store. If you can't get that just antibiotic cream, or betadine.
I will try that. She is anything but tame, especially setting. She puffs up and hisses, but stays put. I managed to spray some Underwood horse medicine on it, as that's the only thing I had that sprays. Thank you!
She may have been spider bit, it happens.
i would just keep an eye on it , sometimes things are better left alone, the back is mostly skin and bone it is not gonna heal like a cut on the leg or breast,.
So if it's an open hole, how will it heal? The skin is gone and I see no meat, just black. Necrosis is black, and that does sound a lot like a brown recluse bite. We are loaded with fiddlebacks, black widows, scorpions and cow ants, so a bite or sting is very likely. I really hope it isn't serious.
Since she is also missing some eggs, I wonder what has been going on. I have shot out of bed a few nights after hearing her alarm and headed out the door with a shotgun. It's a good thing I don't have neighbors nearby. Me with a flashlight in one hand, shotgun in the other running around in my night shirt doesn't exactly scream *sane*.

The wound will start to close up slowly, and the skin will grow back. If she's acting normally, and it were me, I'd go out there at night, take a second person (leave the shotgun in the house LOL) and spray some antibiotic on it and wait and watch. If she's not acting normally, then someone more experienced may be able to tell you what to do, depending on her symptoms and behavior.

But running around in the middle of the night, half dressed with a shotgun in my hand to protect my guineas sounds perfectly sane to me!
big_smile.png
Good luck. I hope she's okay!

The wound will start to close up slowly, and the skin will grow back. If she's acting normally, and it were me, I'd go out there at night, take a second person (leave the shotgun in the house LOL) and spray some antibiotic on it and wait and watch. If she's not acting normally, then someone more experienced may be able to tell you what to do, depending on her symptoms and behavior.

But running around in the middle of the night, half dressed with a shotgun in my hand to protect my guineas sounds perfectly sane to me!
big_smile.png
Good luck. I hope she's okay!
lol.png
Thank you for that ^^

Makes sense to do it at night! *slaps forehead* I was trying to fix her up during the day. Sound advice. Thank you.

You're welcome - just relaying what I've learned on this site. Hang out here and in a short time, you'll learn a LOT from everyone. I have.

Back
Top Bottom