Broody hen with Marek hatched today. Help needed

Thank you! It is the only Silkie couple in my whole area! The rooster is healthy, he is stronger than the virus, he goes around during the day and sleeps with the hen and chicks in the nest at night. I moved them in my bedroom just now. What about food? The chicks are on starter, yoghurt and lots of vitamins. The hen is on corn (she prefers it), cucumbers, cranberry and also yoghurt and plenty of vitamins.

Attachments

• IMG_20201223_222215.jpg
    IMG_20201223_222215.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Thank you! It is the only Silkie couple in my whole area! The rooster is healthy, he is stronger than the virus, he goes around during the day and sleeps with the hen and chicks in the nest at night. I moved them in my bedroom just now. What about food? The chicks are on starter, yoghurt and lots of vitamins. The hen is on corn (she prefers it), cucumbers, cranberry and also yoghurt and plenty of vitamins.
They're beautiful birds. I hope they make it! It would be best if the hen would eat either starter or chicken feed, its much more balanced and will help keep them strong. The vitamins are good. I'm not sure about the treats, it might be best to stop giving those and just give lots of feed and fresh water. Good luck with them. Fingers crossed.

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have a broody hen with Marek that hatched today (I tube fed her the last week as she wasn't eating anymore). What should I do?
What about the chicks.. I am desparately trying to find Marek vaccine, we don't have them in our country..
Is the hen able to look after the chicks at all? You mention that you are having to tube feed her. Are you sure she's suffering from Marek's and not something else - crop issues, reproductive problems, nutritional deficiency? Was she tested for Marek's?

If she is with the chicks, then provide her with Chick Starter - that's what they all can eat with no problems. Make grit available for the chicks (chick grit) and for her (poultry grit) if you are going to be making anything else besides chick starter available.

I agree with @abpatchy if Mom has Marek's, then the chicks are already exposed. Hopefully they will do well.

The vaccine must be administered at hatch and chicks would need to be completely quarantined for up to 3 weeks and not exposed to the virus during this time - something that would be hard to do in a backyard setting.

Thank you for the guidances! The chicks are doing ok, I am still tube feeding the hen. We have no Marek tests in the country, so she has not been tested, but the whole flock has been attacked by Marek and most died. She got infected while broody. I will have to find grit... Thanks a lot once again.

Back
Top Bottom