Broody Hen with Trader Joe's Fertile Eggs....

Chick CJ

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 27, 2009
I had a very broody hen who was losing weight and showing no sign of giving up so I bought a dozen fertile eggs at Trader Joe's and put them under her. Day 5 we candled and only found 10 eggs (maybe other 2 are buried in shavings), 7 of them were viable. Anyway, it's been so many years since I let a broody hen hatch eggs, I feel like a Newby! In the past when I had a broody hen hatch eggs, they had access to the yard from day one and she would take them for walks and show them things, teaching them what to eat, etc. I now live in an area where that is not possible as there are too many predators, so they will have to be in the run in my garage. I will keep an eye on them right from the start to make sure she is a good hen mom, but my question is...do I make sure to have starter mash AND layer feed for her?
Thanks, CJ

If it is just momma and the babies in this setup, I would just offer starter or flockraiser. She's probably not going to be laying for some time anyway.

When she gets to the point of laying again, I would probably have them on pure flockraiser, but offer a side dish of oyster shells. The momma bird will take the oyster shells as calcium supplements, but the littles should leave it alone.

On a side note - I've never worked with Trader Joes eggs. Any ideas on what breeds are going to come from these?

If it is just momma and the babies in this setup, I would just offer starter or flockraiser. She's probably not going to be laying for some time anyway.

When she gets to the point of laying again, I would probably have them on pure flockraiser, but offer a side dish of oyster shells. The momma bird will take the oyster shells as calcium supplements, but the littles should leave it alone.

On a side note - I've never worked with Trader Joes eggs. Any ideas on what breeds are going to come from these?
This^

Thanks so much, that is what I thought too. :)
I currently have 11 hens, a few barred rocks, a couple of Sussex, and some easter Eggers. I am told the Trader Joe's eggs will most likely be leg horns, which I have always wanted to have. But.....we will see. Hopefully they aren't all roosters! 🙃

It looks like we have 4 chicks! (although there may be one more under her, she is a very good mama so far) They hatched yesterday. She is currently showing them how to eat. Oh my gosh, it is too cute!!

Attachments

• 20220606_120212.jpg
    20220606_120212.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom