Broody hen with white crust on face and constant sneezing?!?

How do you know she is still broody? What are the signs?

How are you treating the scaly leg mites in your flock? How many are there? When leg mites wander to the face, we call it face mites. Depending on the number of chickens needing treatment, and if the present treatment is not improving them, we can suggest a treatment were you just place a few drops of an anti-parasite onto the back of each neck. It would need to be repeated in two weeks.

How do you know she is still broody? What are the signs?

How are you treating the scaly leg mites in your flock? How many are there? When leg mites wander to the face, we call it face mites. Depending on the number of chickens needing treatment, and if the present treatment is not improving them, we can suggest a treatment were you just place a few drops of an anti-parasite onto the back of each neck. It would need to be repeated in two weeks.
She is still broody because when i come in the coop she puffs up and starts clucking, she only comes out the coop for 10 minutes for food and water. I have 3 chickens with scaley leg, i add mite treatment and vinegar to the water and smother the feet in vaseline, i cant afford fancy treatment at the moment but that seems to work. But i have no idea how to treat the face mites and if there is any affordable options

She should be treated with a spot on ASAP.

And your other birds probably as well.

Remove all bedfing from your coop, nestboxes etc. and clean and treat thoroughly as well.

She should be treated with a spot on ASAP.

And your other birds probably as well.

Remove all bedfing from your coop, nestboxes etc. and clean and treat thoroughly as well.
Ive cleaned the coops and treated the birds im not sure what to do about the hens face but i sprayed down the coops with insecticides hope that will sort it out

You need to break this broody because extended broodiness ruins her health. If it goes on liong enough, you could have much more serious problems to face if her health deteriorates. Do you have a kennel or dog crate with an open mesh floor? You need something to confine her in for around three days and nights where she will be deprived of a solid surface or nesting material to sit on. Air has to flow under her.

Since you can't afford fancy meds right now, just put Vaseline on her face for the next few days.

You need to break this broody because extended broodiness ruins her health. If it goes on liong enough, you could have much more serious problems to face if her health deteriorates. Do you have a kennel or dog crate with an open mesh floor? You need something to confine her in for around three days and nights where she will be deprived of a solid surface or nesting material to sit on. Air has to flow under her.

Since you can't afford fancy meds right now, just put Vaseline on her face for the next few days.
Thank you so much i do have a cage suitable for her and will try and apply some vaseline and i can fit a little perch in there for her, thank you so much youve been so helpful! :) i hope she gets better!

You may not know for sure when she's spent enough time in the cage to fully break her. I do a test where I let the hen out of the cage and keep an eye on her. If she ends up back in the nest, she needs at least twelve more hours in the cage. Usually three days is enough, but some hens require more, especially if they've been broody for a long time like you hen. I had a hen take nine days to break.

And remember, she needs to be cages day and night around the clock, so find a secure place for the cage at night.

You may not know for sure when she's spent enough time in the cage to fully break her. I do a test where I let the hen out of the cage and keep an eye on her. If she ends up back in the nest, she needs at least twelve more hours in the cage. Usually three days is enough, but some hens require more, especially if they've been broody for a long time like you hen. I had a hen take nine days to break.

And remember, she needs to be cages day and night around the clock, so find a secure place for the cage at night.
Ok i have the perfect place for her in a secure shed ive tried breaking her brood before but i feel bad locking her up but it will be better for her than letting her health deteriorate. thank you

Back
Top Bottom