Broody hen won't move

Willie84

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2016
Australia
Hi so I have moved my broody hen and her nest into a brooder but it seems like she hasn't moved in two days, since the night I moved her into the coop. I'm worried about her health will she get up eventually and have a feed or will I have to move her myself? She is now so protective of the nest I don't want to stress her out anymore than I have to. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated

Most hens will get up at least once a day, but some might have to be encouraged. There's no harm in physically removing her from the nest and placing her near the feed once a day.

Edit: Oh, didn't notice you were new. Welcome to BYC!

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens Willie84!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! I agree with QueenMisha, they do stay on the nest alot and you may not see them get out, but if they are dedicated, getting them out of the box once or twice a day will not hurt them.

Ok thanks cuzchickens I'm pretty new to the chicken life but already I'm addicted.Thanks QueenMisha also. I have moved her off the nest today but she just sat down where I placed her, :rolleyes:the food is there so I guess I will have to wait and see.:rolleyes:

When my broody hadn't gotten up to eat or drink after a few days I had to dip her beak in the water a couple times,
then she broke out of her trance and drank and drank, then ate and ate, then sprinted around around the run, took a furious dust bath, dropped a HUGE turd, then back to the nest. After that she got up on her own regularly.

Yeah I have done that too, she knows where the food and water is and it's obvious she has been drinking. She is now on day 20 so fingers crossed tomorrow we get some little ones to expand the flock

Hi so I have moved my broody hen and her nest into a brooder but it seems like she hasn't moved in two days, since the night I moved her into the coop. I'm worried about her health will she get up eventually and have a feed or will I have to move her myself? She is now so protective of the nest I don't want to stress her out anymore than I have to. Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated

Yeah I have done that too, she knows where the food and water is and it's obvious she has been drinking. She is now on day 20 so fingers crossed tomorrow we get some little ones to expand the flock
From your first post a day or so ago, I thought she was only on day 2 of incubation.
But last few days of incubation they often don't get off the nest.

Last edited:
No, sorry I should have said that. Would she take well to day old chicks if I placed them in at night if these eggs don't hatch?

Back
Top Bottom