Broody hen won't move

I'm also new to BYC and to chickens. By reading everyone's post I believe I have a broody. She will not get off the nest so I pick her up and put her with the others just to have her run straight back to the coop. My other chickens have stopped going in to lay. I worried and wondering what to do? Please help!!

spenje

From what I have read and of what people have told me, have her sit on some fake eggs to make sure she won't leave the nest and then move her to her own space ( brooder) and slip some fertilised eggs under her at night if you are wanting to hatch some little ones.

I'm also new to BYC and to chickens. By reading everyone's post I believe I have a broody. She will not get off the nest so I pick her up and put her with the others just to have her run straight back to the coop. My other chickens have stopped going in to lay. I worried and wondering what to do? Please help!!

spenje

From what I have read and of what people have told me, have her sit on some fake eggs to make sure she won't leave the nest and then move her to her own space ( brooder) and slip some fertilised eggs under her at night if you are wanting to hatch some little ones.
Yep...but if you move her, leave her with the fake eggs for a time until you're sure she will accept the move and settle back into broodiness....then give her fresh fertile eggs.

Also:
You'll need to decide if you want her to hatch out some chicks, and how you will 'manage' it.
Do you have, or can you get, some fertile eggs?
Do you have the space needed? She may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock.
Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?
If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.
It a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

Back
Top Bottom