Broody hen won't poop?

IceHax

Songster
Oct 10, 2018
northern Italy
Hi! I have kind of an odd question. Small backstory, i hatched bantam cochins last year, ended up with 4 roosters and 1 hen. I have a special rat proof coop i keep them in since they are so small and I've had instances of small birds getting eaten by rodents (mostly quails). About two weeks ago the only hen started to not want to come in the coop at night, i had to pick her up to bring her in while all the pthers just walked in on their own. Then one day she disappeared completely, i thought an animal must have gotten to her. Then two days later she came back for about 10 minutes then disappeared again. This went on for 5 more days until when she came back i was at home and had time to follow her. She had built a nest in the woods about 200 yards from my house and she was sitting on them! Obv i couldnt leave her out there so i prepared a small cage in my garage where she can do her thing. My problem is the following though: she's been in there for about 4-5 days now and the hay i put down for her still smells fresh, no poop or anything! She is eating and drinking fine, i made sure of that. I am also lifting her off the cage daily since there's not much room for her to stretch her legs in there but she doesnt seem to want to walk a lot, she just kinda stands there and eats and drinks, then as soon as i put her back she rearranges the eggs and sits down again. Is this normal?
Here's a pic of her
IMG-20220502-WA0003.jpeg

By the way i know they poop a lot less when broody for obvious reasons, but for example i also have a broody goose right now and she dumps a literal bucket of excrement when she goes for her daily walk around the yard. I just dont know if it's normal for her to not go to the bathroom for 4 days in a row.

It is normal. They don't poo or eat as much. Some leave the nest daily to do their thing, they won't poo in the nest. Others only leave a day here and there.

The cage looks small, can she move around in it.

It is normal. They don't poo or eat as much. Some leave the nest daily to do their thing, they won't poo in the nest. Others only leave a day here and there.

The cage looks small, can she move around in it.
Yeah, she looks big just because she decided to put 10 eggs under her butt (she weighs less than a kilogram!), she can stand fine and move about a little bit, not a lot but I'm still letting her out once a day even though she doesn't seem interested in doing anything other than drink and eat. Anyway we should be about a week away from hatch day so hopefully we get there with no issues... 🤞

Back
Top Bottom