Broody Hen

Have you tried a wire bottom cage? I believe the wire bottom cages work because they can't keep their bellies warm and that is what breaks the broodiness. At least that is what I've read. You are supposed to leave them in the cage full time. I think letting her out at night is counterproductive to what you are trying to do.

If you do want more chickens but don't want boys, let her sit on fake eggs for about 21 days and then get sexed day old chicks. That's what I had to do for my broody because none of her eggs hatched. You take a chance she might reject them though.

Have you tried a wire bottom cage? I believe the wire bottom cages work because they can't keep their bellies warm and that is what breaks the broodiness. At least that is what I've read. You are supposed to leave them in the cage full time. I think letting her out at night is counterproductive to what you are trying to do.

If you do want more chickens but don't want boys, let her sit on fake eggs for about 21 days and then get sexed day old chicks. That's what I had to do for my broody because none of her eggs hatched. You take a chance she might reject them though.

Thanks....although it worked the last times it looks like she is nowhere near being broken this time. I can’t leave her in the day cage at night but I will try putting her in a bird cage instead. We just can’t get anymore chooks at the moment their current Sleeping cage just isn’t big enough.

I've found it's best to just let a broody hen be broody. She'll get tired of it eventually. I've never had a hen starve herself to death or anything by being broody. My Cochin/Rosecomb mix, in the warm months, will go broody every couple of weeks and stay that way for two or three weeks, in which time she barely eats or drinks, but when she snaps out of it, she's fine.

I've found it's best to just let a broody hen be broody. She'll get tired of it eventually. I've never had a hen starve herself to death or anything by being broody. My Cochin/Rosecomb mix, in the warm months, will go broody every couple of weeks and stay that way for two or three weeks, in which time she barely eats or drinks, but when she snaps out of it, she's fine.

Yeah looks like that’s what I’m gong to have to do. Another day in prison and she is still as broody as ever

CJP, the trick to keeping a quote within your reply (instead of making two separate posts) is to click 'Quote' then 'Reply'. Start typing after the last 'Quote' in square brackets, then click 'Post Reply'.

Back
Top Bottom