Broody Hen

Peran9

Chirping
Jul 9, 2019
Hi i belive i got a broody Rode island hen. I m new to this all broody thing. its my first time i m raising chickens. yesterday i belive she spend more than 2 or 3 hour in nest maybe more than that cuz i dont have eye on her 24/7 . plus today She spent most time in nest under eggs ofcourse. My question is how would i know and how many days it takes for chicken to get broody and i can know and make sure if she is 100% broody? she is rode island red.plus she been laying eggs every days only missed 1 day or something. also dhe hasnt layed egg 2 consective days. she hasnt layed yesterday and today. Really appreciate your help.

If she is 100% broody, she will stay on the nest 23 hours a day. She will sleep on the nest. If you pick her up and move her she may seem limp and she may try to peck you and she will move right back to the nest as soon as you set her down. She will also stop laying.

I like to collect all the eggs. Then when I know she is 100% broody I mark and give her back the number of eggs I want her to hatch so I know they are all set for the exact same number of days. Plus this allows you to take any eggs that may be questionable to hatch; super dirty, cracked, thin shelled, odd shaped, bad air cell, etc.

Also i would like to know how many egg shall i put under her to hatch it. Whats the best number. i dont want to put too many.

How many chicks do you want? I think generally more than 12 eggs is too many for a broody to keep warm enough all the time. Don't hatch more chicks than you can handle, but also consider that some of them may not hatch at all.

She is Not that big. i dont think she will hatch 12 cuz also she is started laying eggs like few months ago

Also what i m doing is gona hatch some fro. her and some in incubator. once hatched can i then add to her so that she takes care of them. plus would she accept adopted chicks from incubator?

Back
Top Bottom