Broody hen

Love chickens lady

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
I had a broody hen and didn’t have a rooster so I keep taking the eggs now it seems like she’s not broody anymore my problem is I want to hatch some eggs now can I make her broody again

Broodiness depends on just the right hormones being released. It's a combination of a hen's genetics and how many eggs she lays and when that will trigger her broody hormones. I don't think anyone has ever figured out how to make a hen go broody, but if you know your hen's laying cycle and how many eggs she lays between broody cycles, you can predict to the exact day when she will go broody again. No. I can't tell you when your hen will go broody because I haven't observed her laying habits.

If I wanted mine to go broody I’d feed them well, not take their eggs, make sure they are not disturbed too much so they can stay on the nest. Also it might depend on the season and day light hours which you can’t do much about.

I had a broody hen and didn’t have a rooster so I keep taking the eggs now it seems like she’s not broody anymore my problem is I want to hatch some eggs now can I make her broody again
How many weeks was she broody?

Was she on the nest most the day and all night?
When you pulled her out of nest and put her on the ground, did she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Did she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

How long since she stopped being broody?

You could put a pile of fake eggs(don't waste real eggs) in a nest and see if that sparks her hormones.......but there's no guarantee.

How many weeks was she broody?

Was she on the nest most the day and all night?
When you pulled her out of nest and put her on the ground, did she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Did she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

How long since she stopped being broody?

You could put a pile of fake eggs(don't waste real eggs) in a nest and see if that sparks her hormones.......but there's no guarantee.
She wasn’t on it at night but all day then i put her down because the other hens were trying to lay thier eggs

Back
Top Bottom