Broody hen

Pics

sassychickens76

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
I put golf balls in a nesting box and got a hen to sit on them........ I think. We checked her tonight and she was sitting on the golf balls. I touched her and she tried to peck my hand. She is in with my other two hens and my roo. Should I move her? If so, how. We have a big dog kennel. Their nests are hay and I have food and water close by. Also, can I save up about 6 eggs over a course of about 3 days and keep them sitting on the counter, then put them under her when I am sure she will be broody? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Are they free ranged or in a coop? My flock is free ranged so the broodies can usually find a secluded spot to make a clutch (or just steal one of the most popular nesting spot). I don’t have issues and have never had to separate. However if they’re in a coop, some hens might try to bully her out.

Are they free ranged or in a coop? My flock is free ranged so the broodies can usually find a secluded spot to make a clutch (or just steal one of the most popular nesting spot). I don’t have issues and have never had to separate. However if they’re in a coop, some hens might try to bully her out.
They are in a coop. The top part has two nesting boxes for 3 hens. Outside of their top part they have a roosting bar that they sleep on and they have plenty of space to walk around.

There is one hen, rebel hen. I'm sure you can tell her attitude by her name. She may bully. Could there be any problem with the rooster being a bully?

There is one hen, rebel hen. I'm sure you can tell her attitude by her name. She may bully. Could there be any problem with the rooster being a bully?
Most of the time, with my experience, roosters tend to leave the broodies alone, but again, mine have a whole lot of room. I think it’s kind of a paternal thing like “ah this woman is hatching my children let me leave her be” but that’s not always the case. It just depends on the rooster.

I would leave her with the flock. It’s much easier than trying to integrate later. How much space do your birds have in feet x feet? If you’re planning on hatching, you will need more space. Chicks grow fast, so I’d add the space sooner rather than later. If you plan to let her hatch within the flock, make sure you mark the eggs that you give her to hatch so you can remove any additions to the nest daily. Otherwise it gets messy. You end up with a staggered hatch, and that doesn’t often go well. I don’t give eggs to a suspected broody until she has consistently been on the nest for at least 3 days and two nights. My hens will flatten out and peck at me when they’re not broody, but on the nest working on laying an egg and I bug them.

So you want to move her in case she's bullied? I wouldn't. I've found the broodies just to be ignored. I don't think moving her is worth it unless you want her to hatch.
Ignore me, sorry.

As you want to hatch I'd separate.

But I'd actually not hatch. Wait till she shows more dedication and has gone broody more.

I put golf balls in a nesting box and got a hen to sit on them........ I think. We checked her tonight and she was sitting on the golf balls. I touched her and she tried to peck my hand. She is in with my other two hens and my roo. Should I move her? If so, how. We have a big dog kennel. Their nests are hay and I have food and water close by. Also, can I save up about 6 eggs over a course of about 3 days and keep them sitting on the counter, then put them under her when I am sure she will be broody? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!
What breed?

If you store the eggs, put them pointy end down.

I am trying to hatch eggs. She seems very protective so far and I think she would peck any hens that came too close. I tested her and put some eggs that were layed in the other box next to her and she accepted them and put them under her. She is in the popular box. I didn't want any of the other chickens to step on her or her eggs. All of my chickens are Cochin Bantams. I know my coop is 10 feet long and I'm not sure how wide. I will post when I figure out. I already have a friend that will take my extra chicks. At one time I had 6 almost full grown Cochin Bantams in my coop. (3 hens and 3 roo, and yes, I know you should never have more than 1 roo with 3 hens. I sold 2 roos, kept my fav. They were 4 or 5 months) I would say she might have just been laying but she took 2 eggs under her today. I'll take your advice Bobbi-J and mark my eggs.
@SulkyBantam @bobbi-j @Oncoming Storm

Back
Top Bottom