Broody hen

I’d give it another day or two. If nothing by then, it’s very likely none will. I wouldn’t count on that broody to sit long enough to hatch another batch. Even though they can’t count, chickens do eventually leave the nest - usually around the 3-4 week mark.

Ok, if none of her eggs hatch I will give her some more eggs. If she gets off them I have another broody sitting on golf balls. I plan to hatch a friend's Rhode Island Red eggs because she needs more chickens since hers are old. I still have hope since they were doing so good. :fl

How long has the other broody been sitting on golf balls?

If your friend really wants some eggs hatched, I wouldn’t rely on a broody that has been sitting for any length of time, as they tend to have an internal clock that tells them when it’s time to give up on the nest. It might be good for one or the other of you to invest in an incubator.

Still no pips :(

Just kidding, I finally got a chick today! At the moment, since he is the only chick, his name is Uno, or one in Spanish. I love him and the hen is doing a great job! I'll post pics and keep you updated on him in the coming days and later. Thanks everyone for helping!

Still no pips :(

Just kidding, I finally got a chick today! At the moment, since he is the only chick, his name is Uno, or one in Spanish. I love him and the hen is doing a great job! I'll post pics and keep you updated on him in the coming days and later. Thanks everyone for helping!
I’d let them be for another 24 hours. Usually, if the eggs are all set at the same time, all the chicks that are going to hatch will do so within 24 hours.

I will leave them, by the way, 2 questions:
1. I think egg 2 has a pip in it, could the new chick or mom possibly have pecked it? You don't have to answer this one, I will know in the morning.

2. Could the mom abandon the chick if I touch him?

If a second chick hatches, I decided to name it Midnight since it will grow up to be black. There could always be a name change though, one of our first hens went from Popo to Rebel Hen.

Back
Top Bottom