Broody Hen

chickenboy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Woolwich,ME
I currently have a broody hen who has been sitting on eggs for about two weeks. Should I let the hen raise them herself after they hatch or should I take care of them.

I have six hens and one rooster(who is very nice). Just for extra info.

Your life will be so much easier if you let her raise them. No lamp, no thermometer, no problem.

Let the hen take them under her wing
big_smile.png
and your life will be a lot easier

If she is a good mother and she protects the chicks from any other chickens that may try to harm them(if any), then I would say to leave them for her to take care of.
smile.png
She will know how to keep them warm, how to protect them, etc. just make sure momma hen and chicks have food and water.
P.S. I've heard that chicks raised by the mother may act a little "wilder" than chicks in a brooder box, but they usually always turn out like any other chicken when they grow up. At least this is what someone told me when I asked a similar question to yours.
wink.png

Good luck!

Of course!
smile.png
I am sure it would tramitize the hen if her babies were taken away from her. We have three broody hens know and I have been looking all over for some fertile eggs for them to hatch. I can't wait to see them become mamas and watch them all interact.

Back
Top Bottom