Broody Hen

chickendude1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Morganton North Carolina
I have one buff orpington hen that hatched 4 out of 5 eggs last time, but she hasnt went broody since last year. Would be ok to hatch chicks this time of year if so , How can i like try to make her broody or is this impossible ???

I don't think you can "make" them go broody - you just have to wait until they're ready. At least you know yours broods - I have two BO's which I got because of their reputation for broodiness. Both are now a year and a half old and have never shown the slightest interest, and given their age, I think the chances are lower than ever now that they ever will
hmm.png

Of all the years I have had chickens, I have never had a hen go broody (even with know breeds that are supposedly broody breeds). Well Friday I discovered one of my white orpington hens was sitting on a nest. I kept checking on her to see if she was off the nest so I could collect the eggs and every time she was still there. Saturday she was still there and I also found one of my partridge rock hens was sitting on a nest of eggs. So I am so happy to finally have hens to sit on eggs. I once had a female duck sit on a nest of duck eggs.

Quote:
Mama will take care of them. My one week olds were running around in below freezing weather for long periods. Mama would squat to let them get under her to get warm, and call them, and they would ignore her, or run under her then back out right away. Since 1 week of age I have only seen them under her at night, and we've had days in the teens during that time.

A great article about broodies: http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom