Broody Hen

4boyz

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
I have a Buff Orpington that is hanging out in the nest box waiting for her non-existent eggs to hatch. I am considering getting some local fertilized eggs to put underneath her. From your experience will this work giving her someone else's eggs? Will she stay on the eggs long enough?
Just wondering before I race off to find the fertilized eggs!

Thanks

yeah, she'll accept any eggs you give her. ive had chickens hatch ducks, bantams, turkey and even guinea eggs.

juuust be sure to mark them as "hatching" eggs. u sont wanna mix 'em up.
lau.gif

ive done that.
tongue.gif

A broody hen is looking for eggs. She doesn't care if her egg or other chickens eggs she just wants eggs. I always worried about setting brooody hen where no one else bothers her and she can get off of nest at least once a day or be let off.
So If was me I would hurry and get some fertilized eggs to put under her. I never like to leave broody hen in chicken house to set on all the eggs I think isn't good for them

Other than finding some locally, anyone know where I could buy some online that would ship them immediately?

My chickens are mixed and I don't mind making box up for you to ship but I have to get 15.00 for shipping and I get 4.00 dozen for hatching eggs. They are just nice chickens buff orphington, RIR, Black Jersey Giants, Marans, Top Hats, Bantams, Leghorns, Brahmas, Turkens, Mixed

I guess I don't have any specific breed in mind but this is what I am looking for.

Quiet
Winter hardy
Friendly
Docile
Extra large brown eggs

And I'm looking for fertilized eggs, not chicks. 4-6 of them.

I guess I don't have any specific breed in mind but this is what I am looking for.

Quiet
Winter hardy
Friendly
Docile
Extra large brown eggs

And I'm looking for fertilized eggs, not chicks. 4-6 of them.

I have fertilized eggs if you are interested no purebreed just nice chickens

Let me know if you want some,. I will pack them and ship this afternoon if not is ok there is chickens and eggs everywhere. These are just nice chickens. Roosters are all nice and hens are all tame. I only sell eggs not chicks.

Last edited:
I found some fertilized eggs and stuck them under my hen yesterday.
This morning when I went to check on her, she had moved to the other nest box. The eggs were still warm, so I just put them underneath her again.
What does this mean? Does she not understand she is suppose to keep those eggs warm?
Maybe this is not going to work as planned.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom